x

THE SENATE HOUSE INTERIOR looked like a high school lecture hall

THE SENATE HOUSE INTERIOR looked like a high school lecture hall. A semicircle of tiered seats faced a dais with a podium and two chairs. The chairs were empty, but one had a small velvet package on the seat.

Cato and Selena sat on the left side of the semicircle. The ten senators occupied the rest of the front row. The upper rows were filled with several dozen hosts and a few older veterans from the city, all in formal togas.

Octavian stood in front with a knife and a Beanie Baby lion, just in case anyone needed to consult the god of cutesy collectibles. Reyna and Jason walked to the podium and raised their hands for attention.

"Right, this is an emergency meeting," Jason stated, "We won't stand on formalities."

"I love formalities!" a ghost complained.

Reyna shot him a cross look.

"You may be wondering why we are here." Jason announced, "Octavian has read the auguries. There is a new prophecy. One that issues a quest."

Everyone began to mumble and the senate house was filled with noise. Jason raised his hand again and everyone fell silent.

"Octavian." Jason turned to the skinny blonde kid, "Would you like to present the prophecy?"

Octavian quickly scurried up to the podium and cleared his throat. Everyone stayed silent, waiting. He pulled out a scroll and began reading,

"Three shall go to the buried city, only to be filled by pity. The blood of ceres shall give life, while magic's daughter carries the knife. Son of the sky, must say goodbye, only then shall she remember why."

"Magic's daughter." Selena whispered and everyone turned to look at her,

Reyna shooed Octavian from the podium, "It is clear who is apart of this quest." She turned towards her fellow praetor, "Jason, you're the leader of this quest."

Reyna stepped back as Jason looked around, "I accept this quest." He announced, "And I shall choose my companions. It is clear that the daughter of Trivia and a child of Ceres must join me." His eyes met Selena's, "Selena Madison, Cato Grant, will you join me on this quest?"

It erupted into chaos once again, "That's not fair! Two of them are from the Fifth Cohort!"

"Absurdus! Selena isn't even a full member of the legion! She's on probatio. She's not fit for a quest!"

"She just got here!"

"I say let her go, one less fifth cohort loser around anyway."

"Silence!" Jason called out and everyone shut up, "It is my choice. And I choose Selena and Cato. If they accept."

The last line, only then shall she remember why. This was a quest for her memories.

Selena stood, "I accept."

Jason nodded and the two then stared down at Cato, "I get queasy at the sight of blood." He commented,

"Then don't look at it." Selena smirked,

Cato sighed and stood up next to Selena, "Yeah, I guess I accept."

"Now," Reyna glancing at the three, "we must discuss the quest."

"Like where we need to go." Jason continued, "And what we're looking for."

"Pompeii," Selena stated, and everyone stared at her, "That's where we need to go."

"Like, 'Pompeii' Pompeii?" Cato asked, "Like the city that got destroyed by that volcano... like thousands of years ago?"

"The buried city." Jason said, crossing his arms.

"Well... how are we gonna get there?" Cato questioned,

"Hope you guys have got passports." Jason stated,

"Boys." Selena sighed, "We're going to Italy."