xvii

SELENA'S HEART BEATED LOUDLY IN HER EARS,

The Lamia dove at them and Selena pushed Cato to the side. Once they came to a stop in the dirt, Selena glanced over at Jason to make sure he was okay. The three of them stood and prepared to fight.

"Demigodssss." The Lamia hissed, "The tassstiessst of children."

She went for Jason first, who flew upwards into the air. Once the Lamia realised she couldn't get to him, she turned to Cato and Selena.

"What's the plan?" Cato gulped nervously,

"Can you restrain her?"

"I don't know... maybe?" He replied,

The dragon was a lot bigger and slower than the Lamia. It was easier to restrain. The Lamia however, was a lot quicker... and smaller.

"You restrain, I stab. Like with the dragon." Selena gripped the hilt of her dagger tighter,

"Got it." Cato placed his hand on the ground and multiple branches and vines reached out to grab the Lamia.

But she was too quick. 

"Shit!"

Selena tried to dodge the monster, but she moved too late. The Lamia's talons ripped through her shorts and scraped across the skin of her upper thigh. The demigod let out a cry of pain as Jason swooped her away from the fight, leaving Cato to distract the monster.

The Lamia licked Selena's blood from her fingers, "Jusssttt an appetisssser."

"Are you okay?" Jason asked the girl as he set her down and she put more weight on her right leg than her left,

"Fine." Selena hissed, "I'm just really sick of reptiles right now."

Cato made another attempt to subdue the Lamia, but the serpent was able to slither out of the vines, despite Cato making them squeeze the monster.

The son of Ceres approached them, "Guys, I think we need a new game plan."

Selena looked around at all the rubble, what was left of the city of Pompeii. The shadows that were casted on the ground. She could shadow jump, and possibly get a good stab in.

But she needed the Lamia to be in a shadow.

"We need to hide. Once her guard is down, I can attack her." She explained, "Shadow travel."

"That knocked us out for hours last time you did that." Cato stated.

"I was shadow travelling three of us. With just me, it should be fine."

Should be, being the key word. She wasn't going to make any promises.

The trio split up amongst the ruins. Hiding behind walls and pillars, waiting. Selena gulped nervously, gripping her dagger as she peered around the pillar she was concealing herself with.

The sun was beating behind her, creating a shadow behind the pillar. She was in the perfect position.

But she had to wait for the monster to cooperate.

Across the yard, the Lamia approached a wall that Jason was taking cover behind. It lunged for him, but Jason was quick too, after all his years training at Camp Jupiter.

He swiped his sword and cut the Lamia's hand off. It screeched in pain, "You ssssstupid child!"

Jason kicked the monster into the shadow that the sun and wall created, "Selena, now!"

Closing her eyes, Selena concentrated. Her particles and being dissipated into the shadow before reappearing in the shadow where the Lamia was located.

She felt lightheaded, but with the last of her strength, Selena jammed her dagger through the Lamia's chest, where the heart would be located. At the same time, Jason stabbed the opposite side of the Lamia's torso, his blade piercing all the way through the creature's back.

The Lamia let out one last wail before turning into a gold dust. 

Selena dropped her dagger and collapsed. Jason reached out and grabbed her before she could hit the ground, 

"Nice job!" Cato grinned as he jogged over,

"Are you okay?" Jason asked, keeping a grip on Selena's upper body,

She nodded, wiping the sweat from her forehead, "Yeah... yeah..." She slowly stood and grabbed her weapon.

"So... what now?" Cato questioned as he took a first aid kit from his pack. 

Selena was silent as he took out some peroxide and bandages. The son of Ceres cleaned the wound, and Selena tried not to cry out in pain as he wrapped it.

Jason helped her stand and Selena put some weight onto her injured leg.

The Daughter of Trivia turned to stare up at Mount Vesuvius, "Now we finish this stupid quest."