“Eat up.” He tells me. “The food will become cold.”

We both eat and chat about the most random stuff.

He tells me about his brother and how his brother was Capo. He tells me about how his brother and his wife were brutally murdered, leaving behind Gabriella.

He tells me about how the responsibility of Capo fell on him.

He tells me about how he dropped out of Law School after that incident and pursued IT instead.

He tells me about his complicated relationship with Candle and how it start while in Law School.

“Did it end because of me?” I ask Salvatore. “A lot of people seem to think so.”

“It did not end because of you. You more or less delivered the last blow and that blow would have happened with or without you. Candle and I lost our ‘spark’ over time.” He responds.

“It did not seem like that when I found the both of you wrapped in each others arms moments after you took—” I fail to complete the sentences — embarassed at most. He lets out a breathe.

“She came onto me and I know I should have stopped her but I did not.  It will not repeat itself.” He reassures.

“It better not.” I scowl at him.

“It will not.” He reassures once more as his hand reaches across the table for mine. I take it and I think that is it but he stands up — our hands still linked. “Dance with me?”

“Is that even a question?” I smile as I stand up — excited. I never pictured that he would ask me for a dance. He pulls me out of the circle of Candles as the slow dance music enchants the air.

I encircle my arms around his neck while he puts his hands around my waist. We move in that manner — our
eyes locked on each other.

When we sit back down, we have some more wine and chat the night away. When I check the time, I am shocked to see that it is midnight.

“We should leave.” I tell Salvatore. “I have work tomorrow at 8am.”

“You do not need to work. Not when we are together.”

“I do not remember you asking me to be your girlfriend.”

“Why would you be my girlfriend when you could be my wife?”

“Wife?” I chuckle. “That is a step too far.”

“I do not think so. You are 22. You Graduate next month. And we love each other.”

“I know but I just want to enjoy my time with you without having to think about weddings, and children.”

“Fine but I don’t want you working. I have more than enough money to get you whatever you want.”

“I know but I want to be independent of you or anyone else. Otherwise, this relationship won't work.” I tell him. “Now can we get going?”

He does not say anything more about the issue. As we had earlier agreed, he drives us to his house. Somewhere along the way, I doze off and I only realize I did when Salvatore whisks me into his arms when we reach his house.

He carries me into the house and leads me up the stairs. We stop at his  bedroom door before he swipes his key card over the sensor. The door slides open before he flicks the light on.

I squint my eyes at the bright light, groaning. He places me onto the bed, taking my heels off. He leaves the rest to me as heads to the bathroom.