00. PROLOGUE: THE PROMISE

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

The day began like any other in the Hargreeves' residence: the morning alarm rings at dawn, signifying that hair needs to be brushed, teeth washed, and uniforms on by seven on the dot. Breakfast is then served at half-after, followed by studies at eight-fifteen, then combat training at eleven. It was presently noon and a Saturday, which thankfully meant thirty minutes of free period.

Perched on the front steps of the mansion sat the eighth member of the Umbrella Academy. With headphones on, the girl let the musical styles of Queen fill her ears, humming along with the melody of Killer Queen while her eyes skimmed the words of the book lying on her lap. She was behind on her studies this week and figured that it wouldn't hurt to sacrifice one free period so she wouldn't have to deal with her father's lecture–

Again.

Flipping to the next page, Elaina Hargreeves found herself completely engrossed in this week's assignment, relieved that she actually thought it was an enjoyable read. Definitely way better than Shakespeare. The girl was so immersed in the reading material, that she didn't even sense the silent intruder who emerged behind her in a flash of blue.

Five Hargreeves stood there for a moment, his hands buried inside the pockets of his schoolboy shorts while he lingered behind the girl, studying her frame and waiting to see if she'd be able to detect his presence or not. However, the raven-haired teenage boy soon got his answer when Elaina flipped to the next page and leaned in closer to the text, absent mindlessly picking up her MP3 and raising the volume without a single spared glance.

Never being one who appreciates being overlooked, Five tilted his head in contemplation, thinking of the best way to gain the brunette's attention. It wasn't long before a mischievous idea popped inside his head, causing a devilish smirk to spread across the space-jumper's face.

Going down a step and taking a seat, Five carefully extended his hands toward the innocent headphones that rested on Elaina's unexpecting head. The boy swiftly yanked the headphones down so they fell around her shoulders.