23. Tangled Threads

"Why?" She asked him with a broken tone as soon as she saw him entering his room.

She knew about her nikah but it never occur to her that it will be her rukhsati day as well.

She wanted her marriage to be memorable, a happy event to be remembered forever.

But unlike her wishes it happened in a haste and without the usual ceremonies.

She wasn't aware of the reason.

Atif moved towards her. She was wearing a white dress embroidered with white threads and red chunni on her head.

Her gaze filled with confusion landed on Atif's face which was showcasing some deep grief.

Her eyes widen with the fear of something bad and she gripped the window for support.

Atif stopped few inches away from her, he was clad in simple black kurta pyjama.

Holding her hand in his, he  squeezed it and looked into her eyes heaving a deep sigh.

"I know, this isn't the dream wedding you always wanted and I'm sorry for that..... but... but it was dad's last wish. He... he wanted to see my bride in this house in front of him for the few  remai.... remaining days of his life."He broke down at the end. His eyes releasing the feeling of despair, agony and helplessness drenching his beard.

Hadiya froze on her place hearing everything. It took Her few minutes to digest the news and when she did, a sob left her rosy lips and her chin wobbled.

She couldn't stand the pain she saw on Atif's face. She moved towards him and collected his shattered self in her tender warm fragile arms.

Both slumped down on the floor whilst finding peace, solace and escape in each other's arms.

"What happened to dad?" When Atif calmed down a little, she asked him.

"His both lungs are severely damaged.I asked him many a times to stop smoking but he never took it serious and now see we are about to loose him."He again broke down.

The pain which he was trying to hide within the walls of his heart has now brought havoc inside him. He didn't wat to be strong anymore because he can't.

"Sshhhh, its okay. We will get him the best treatment and In sha Allah he will be fine before you even know." Hadiya knew how empty her consolation was but nonetheless it was  consolation and Atif needed it.

He nodded and kissed her palm before laying on her lap. The hard floor wasn't bothering him as his heart was in agony.

She started caressing his hair and soon enough she felt his red puffy eyes drooping.

She didn't want to distrub his peaceful slumber, so continue caressing his hair whilst her mind rewinding everything that just happened.

A painful whimper left her lips. She put her palm on her lips to hold another whimper from escaping. She knew that Atif needed her to be strong. And she wanted to be strong for him.

************

She sauntered towards his bed and sat down royally whilst examining everything with scrutiny.