Jack

After a long silence, Lara spoke up.

"You know, Amelia really loved you." She said, smiling slightly as she stared into the air.

I looked up, wiping my eyes with the back of my hand. "What?"

"Whenever she talked about you, or saw you, her whole face would, I don't know, just light up. She would seem so distant, but then when you came she just stepped out of her shell. You always put a smile on her face. You meant the world to her. She would never leave you. She's going to fight, and she's going to win. Just wait and see." Lara promised firmly.

Despite everything that is going on, I couldn't stop the smile from forming on my face. "I love her too. More than she knows." I said, not taking my eyes off Amelia.

I reached forward and took her hand in mine. "As long as she's fighting, I'll fight too. We're in this together."

LARA'S POV

We heard footsteps behind us and turned to see Sydnie, Ava and Isla. Jack sighed happily, but didn't let go of Amelia's hand.

Isla looked around, spotted him and rushed over. "Jack Jack Jack!" She exclaimed, throwing her arms around his neck.

"Isla Isla Isla!" Jack called back, using his free arm to hug her tightly. Ava and sydnie both hugged him and then hugged me.

"Hey, Lara." Syd attempted to greet me cheerfully, but couldn't conceal the tension and fear in her voice. During the one night they met, the girls really bonded with Amelia. They all loved her.

Isla walked over to us. I stood up to let her sit beside Jack.

"Jacky? Is she gonna be ok?" Isla asked, laying her head against his shoulder. Jack rested his head against hers. "I hope so."

****************************************

Two hours later, after the girls left, a nurse appeared in the doorway and motioned for me to follow her. I took Zach's hand and we followed.

We walked down the hall a little ways, to a more deserted area.

The nurse glanced at her clipboard then fixed us with a sad gaze.

"Two weeks is a long time for a coma in this kind of situation. Because of her head injury, she should have either healed quickly or won't at all." She said.

My heat dropped into my stomach. I struggled to take a breath through my suddenly tight lungs. Zach tightened his grip on my hand and pulled me closer, as if attempting to shield me from the words about to come.

"I'll wait for you to make some phone calls. It will have to be all of your decisions." The nurse continued.

I already knew, but I couldn't stop my shaky voice from forming the question. "What decision?" I whispered.

The nurse gave me a heartbreaking glance, full of pity, then finally spoke.

"Whether or not you want to continue the life support."

My legs gave way as I dropped to the floor, gasping out sobs, failing to catch air.

I felt Zach crouch beside me and curl me against his chest, rocking me. He pressed his lips against my forehead and I felt the wetness of tears on his cheeks collect with my own.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." He kept saying, as if it would fix this.

But it can't fix this.

Nothing can fix this.

Zach pulled me to my feet, arm around my waist to support me. We slowly walked back to the ward.

Jack turned sharply as we pushed open the door. He was trying to conceal the hope in his eyes.

"What is it?" He asked. "What did she say?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but couldn't find the words.

Instead, I burst into tears and ran to him, collapsing into his arms.

"J-j-j-Jack. I-I'm so sorry. I'm so s-s-Sorry." I bawled, clinging to him.

Pain ripped across his face. "Wait.. you mean...?"

I nodded and fell back against Zach, curling up to him.

Tears filled Jack's eyes.

"No. No! I'm not letting it happen. She's gonna make it. She is." He drops to his knees beside Amelia's bed and grabbed her hand.

"Amelia! Fight, god damit! Don't leave me! Don't fucking leave me! Amelia, please. I need you. I need you to be ok. Please, just open your eyes. Please." He yelled, voice cracking.

He buried his face in his hands, head leaning against the frame of the bed.

Instinctively, I stepped towards him, holding out my hands, searching for a way to comfort him. But there was nothing. I stepped back, right into Zach's arms.

"I-I-I'll c-call the others." I whispered, voice cracking. Zach nodded and pulled my tightly to his chest.

"I'm so sorry." He said, releasing me. I nodded tightly and walked out of the room, down the hall.

I switched on my phone and dialled a number. It only took two rings, then she picked up.

"What is it?! What happened!?" Christina demanded. I took a shaky breath.

Instantly, her tone was serious. "Lara, what happened?" She asked, voice flat and hard.

Tears ran down my face as I said the words I had been so afraid to say. "Everyone needs to come here. We have to make a decision together." I said, bracing myself as a sob racked my body.

Faintly, I could hear the sounds of crying and muffled voices, as Christina repeated what I had - or rather, hadn't - said.

"We'll be right there. I love you." She said.

"I love you too."

The line disconnected.

....................................................................................................................

Guys I'm so sorry!

I'm literally the most inconsistent writer ever! Please don't be mad, I had my phone taken off me for a week, plus I've had a lot of schoolwork to do.

I promise I'll update again ASAP, and thanks for sticking with me.

Love you!

P.s WE HIT 2K READS!!!!!!!!! SKASMDMWKDOWODMVMWKELVKKEEFWKODKNVWJWKKF!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!