CHAPTER EIGHT

A N D R E A

"Ricky," I whispered in my brother's ear as I sat on top of his sleeping figure, and when he didn't respond I poked his cheek, "Rick, wake up!"

He swatted my hand away, mumbled something intelligible, and rolled over, making me fall on the mattress beside him with a soft thud. Blowing my hair away from my face, I tucked the unruly locks behind my ear and climbed his back with reinvigorated conviction. Unable to reach his face as he was lying on his back, I figured using his back like a trampoline was my best shot at waking him up.

I didn't understand his need to sleep so much, ever since he turned eighteen three months ago, he'd been preoccupied all the time, besides it was six already, and he'd promised he'd teach me how to fight like him.

"RICCARDO!" I whined, pulling at his comforter, satisfied when he stirred, groaning,

"Ann," He groaned as I got off him and placed my palm on his cheek, his stubble tickled my palm, and I jerked my hand away giggling. Rick rolled over, and sat up, his back against the headboard as I crossed my legs underneath me on his bed. "I was hoping to sleep a little more, bambina," He smiled lazily and ran his palm over his face.

"No sleeping in today," I pointed my finger at him in warning,

"Uh-huh," He nodded his head sleepily, and I leaned forward, tugging his arm.

"Not like this, get up!"

"Shit," He mumbled under his breath.

"That's a bad word, Rick!"

"I know, I'm sorry, Ann you won't tell mama will you?" Riccardo wiggled his brows and I burst out laughing,

"Only if you get up,"

"I am, ma'am" He ruffled my hair, and got up, "Wait here, I'll be just a minute," He said over his shoulder as he went inside the bathroom.

Bored, I fell back on the soft sheets, bouncing a little when my head hit the pillows. I sat up straight when I heard the door open and stood on the bed, jumping with excitement.

"Now, Cosa devo fare con te?"

What do I do with you?

Riccardo rubbed his jaw, his eyes narrowed as he grinned at me, I stopped cavorting and looked at him, folding my arms on my chest. He was still taller than me, but now I reached his chest, Rick threw his head back laughing at my fruitless attempt to intimidate him and reached out to hold me. I giggled, taking a step back, shaking my tiny hands in front of me.

"Will you be like this, Andrea?" He brought his hand to his heart, feigning being hurt; I knew he was messing with me, he always did that, however, I didn't like the frown on his face. He looked pretty when he wasn't doing that.

I scrunched up my nose, "You don't look pretty when you do that," I pointed at his face.

"Bambina, call me anything but pretty, si?" He looked at me with concern, almost like the word had burnt him.

"Okay, pretty," I stuck out my tongue at him, and romped to the farthest corner of his bed, tittering. Riccardo shook his head, and dived after me, he wrapped his fingers around my leg, and hauled me back, chuckling when I fell right beside him on my face.

"Ow Rick!" I'd barely rolled over, and was rubbing the tip of my nose when somehow he managed to roll me in his comforter.

"Will you call me that again?"