The forest chapter 2

ALICE

I rub my eyes and get out of bed. I am feeling ok today, the dreams are like a story. Though at first I was afraid to sleep, now I want to know what happens next. I start showering and getting ready.

Thinking back, I only felt a sense of fear in the beginning. Out of breath and running for my life in the dream. Now I have seen who was chasing me. Though not clearly, I noticed they were young. Probably around thirteen years old. But total bullies. I must be younger and smaller in the dream.

I have been on this zero hour contract for a few weeks now and I'm getting used to it. I can catch up on sleep and hopefully recover so I don't lose my job.

I decide to have a big breakfast and go in early. I'm going to work properly today, I need the money. Even though Brian was acting weird with me last Friday. He has probably heard the gossip by now and is probably embarrassed. I know he meant that I should work from next Monday but l do feel ok today. The doctor actually listened to me after reading Brian's letter.

I should have copied it. Pure genius, Brian the Brain strikes again. So instead of being pegged as a depressed hypochondriac he actually booked me to see someone a bit sooner. It looks like he didn't even refer me to anyone before. I know how it feels to be overworked and tired, but still. There are still quite a few days till the appointment with the specialist.

I walk to the bus stop, checking I have everything. Brian has been calling to check on me. Apparently he went to a seminar about depression in the workplace. He's been acting like a mother hen. I'm still not sure if he's really into me or just a perfectionist. He doesn't want any bad stuff to happen on his watch.

On the bus I look at my messages. Flicking through about twenty from Brian. Everyone is shipping us at work but l just can't get over the personality change. He started texting last Monday. 'Are you ok? Are you rested, did you sleep well?' It's annoying but a bit sweet too.

I get off and nip in the corner shop. I always grab a couple of snacks to share at break. That way I won't eat it by myself. I'm already a bit chubby! Though I think if I get to sleep better maybe I'll lose a bit? After the first *¹sleeping pill incident, I was reluctant to try them again. But in the end I tried them two more times. I didn't sleep as long as the first time, I must have been tired.

As I walk into the office I realize I'm early! I go to the ladies after tapping in. but when I walk out I hear talking so I step back to listen. Brian and Mr. Richardson are walking along the corridor. Assuming no-one is in yet they are speaking quite openly.

I peek round the corner feeling like a spy. "You know I have to be firm with you, there's no favouritism here. Don't be so worried about that girl. Your dad told me what you said. Look I won't stop you but don't let it affect your work. You know I am open about workplace romance". Mr. Richardson gives Brian a friendly nudge.

"I know Uncle Sydney, I'm going to ask her out after work today." Brian answers.

He looks down, blushing. Nudge nudge, Mr. Richardson elbows Brian cheekily. Mr. Richardson smiles and ruffles his hair. "Come on, let's get to work before we are spotted."

He grins and ruffles Brian's hair again. "This kind of work attitude is totally unacceptable. Go and brush your hair and straighten up!" He barks, masking a laugh and walking to his office.

I jump back into the ladies. What did I just witness! A month's worth of gossip in a minute. Uncle Sydney? Wait, were they talking about me? Can't be, no I won't think about it. Maybe it's someone else. I hope I can hold it today, I feel like this is something I shouldn't tell.

I wait a few minutes then come out and walk to my desk. I take a glance at the movie box. Brian looks neat and serious now. I look at the clock as other people start coming in. It's 8.55 and it does feel good to be back. People start coming to say hi and welcome back as we get settled.