Chapter 29

I stuff my hands into my jacket as I walk into the building I was just in two days ago, heart-thumping but in the back of my mind, I know this is probably the safest place to be. I open the door and go to the front desk, the same woman that was there on Monday sitting behind the counter typing on the computer.

"Excuse me, Officer Natalia I believe? I heard Jason calling you that the last time I was here," I ask walking up towards her. She stops and looks up at me, eyebrows shooting up in surprise.

"The woman that's brought a pretty big case and also seems to have relations with our chief," she says cooly.

"Is there a problem?" I ask in the same tone of voice as her, raising my eyebrows in question.

"No, there's no problem. I was just simply making an observation. What can I do for you?" she questions.

"I told Jason I was coming in to talk with him and Officer Nash. Could you tell them I'm here?" I ask.

"Sure, let me page them," she says picking up a phone and presses a single number. She waits a couple of seconds before I hear her saying, "Chief, your girlfriend is here to talk with you and Nash." The officers in the vicinity hear what she's saying and I mentally facepalm that she just ousted my relationship with Jason to the whole force. Sure they would have found out, probably after all this but not now.

"Jason's coming right over, just give him a minute," she says hanging up the phone.

"Thank you," I tell her, a tight smile on my lips. She looks at me for a couple of seconds before her eyes are filled with amusement.

"I can tell you're annoyed I just announced your relationship with the C hief but considering how many shitheads were talking about the sexy woman that dropped by here, I think it's best they know you're off the market," she tells me as her grin widens and she turns to look at one of the male officers that are currently staring at me and she levels him with a glare as he scurries out of sight. I thought she had a problem with me, another person that has a thing for Jason but I guess that's not the case.

"And I couldn't say anything the last time you were here, I heard what happened after you left but you're a lot more different from his ex, a big upgrade," she chuckles. 

"Thank you I guess?" I say looking at her in confusion.

"Take it as a compliment, Jason was in a really bad place last year but for the last month and a half, he's been in a better mood probably because of you so I thank you for that. Plus he became much more tolerable," she chuckles.

"Talking shit about your superior Natalia?" a deep voice questions. We both turn to see Jason looking at the two of us not amused.

"Lighten up Chief, I was just telling her I like her, seems to be a good fit for you," she says with a wave of her hand. He rolls his eyes before turning to me, his face softening a bit.

"You needed to talk to Nash right? He's waiting for us so let's go," he says holding out his hand. I walk forward and take it as he leads us back to his office.

"Victoria, when we catch who's after you, you should come by here again," Natalia calls out leaning over the counter to wave at me.

"She's a strange one, I wasn't sure if she had a problem with me but in the end, she tells me that I'm much better than your ex," I say once we're out of earshot. He lets out a huff of laughter squeezing my hand.

"Well, she's not wrong about that," he smirks. "And Natalia has always been a strange one, too blunt sometimes and has no fucking filter. It's amazing her mouth hasn't gotten her into trouble. And also since she's you've piqued her interest, she'll for sure force me to bring you here again."