Chapter 12

My dad is here, in the same hospital? This place is hours away from Quebec so there's no reason for him to be here. Not to mention now that I know he's here I can't treat him, conflict of interest after all. I ditch my jacket at the nurse's station and thankfully see a senior nurse from this department walking out of a patient's room.

"Helen," I call out to her waving the clipboard in the air.

"Victoria, you're here. Thank you so much for joining this side for the night," she says walking up to me, relief clear as day on her face.

"Don't mention it. When I'm called in I don't mind if I'm thrown in different departments but there's just one issue before I start my shift," I tell her.

"What seems to be the problem?" she asks in confusion.

"One of the patients I have to go see during my rounds is my dad. Granted I haven't seen him nor spoken to him in almost ten years I thought it'd be best to let you know," I explain. She frowns for a moment and I can see her pondering on what to do.

"That is a problem and I wouldn't allow you to oversee him because it's against hospital policies, but considering we are short-handed on nurses tonight, I will make an exception tonight. I'll be sure to fill out a report later so don't worry about this," she says with a calm smile as her pager goes off. I give her a fake smile at her decision, I'd rather not let my feelings show on my face.

"Alright, let me pull up his file and see what I need to check on, he'll be the first patient I check," I tell her.

"You do that, I have to get going. I'll see you later Victoria," she says as she scurries down the corridor. I let out a deep sigh as I walk over to the computers and input my dad's name as his file pulls up. My eyes scan the hospital report and my eyes widen when I read the words heart attack and cancer. I continue reading and see that he came to the hospital for a diagnosis due to a pain he was feeling in his chest and had an attack right here.

"Damn," I mutter under my breath. I hope he doesn't get agitated when he sees me. I check the notes the last nurse left which is to check his heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen levels, and to see if his i.v is finished. Alright, girl, you got this. I grab a pair of gloves, putting them on as I walk down to his room. I stop at the door, room twenty-five and take a deep breath before knocking on the door. I slide the door and a calm expression on your face.

"Hello, I'm here to check on how you're doing Mr. Marshall," I say in a professional voice as I walk in and close the door behind me. When my dad sees me at the door he looks stunned to see me. The daughter he abandoned years ago, the daughter that ran way years ago standing right before him. And it seems he's still with his mistress since she's sitting right by his bed with another woman beside her and man across from them.

"Victoria," his voice just barely a whisper.

"You, you, I thought you'd be dead by now, buried six-feet underground just like your mother. What the fuck is going on? You can't seriously think you can come here and play nurse!" I watch the she-witch screech and I have to hold back my tongue so I don't lash out at her.

"I'm not obligated to answer to you, Vanessa," I say ignoring her as I walk up to the computer near the heart monitor.

"Mother, who is she," the woman beside Vanessa questions. I look at her, most likely Vanessa's daughter because they have the same silky hair, almond eyes, tan skin and the biggest factor, I can sense the same bitchiness Vanessa has.

"That's his useless daughter Blaire," she scoffs in disgust.

"I don't see how you can call me useless when I'm here as a nurse, working to help and save lives unless you think someone in this position is useless," I say, my voice cold as I take a glance at her before continuing to type.