Chapter 28

"So I heard from Charlotte shit went down with Cleo today," Jason says as I sit down across from him in his office. It's two in the morning and I only woke up fifteen minutes ago half asleep to grab a drink of water and then realize he didn't even bother to come to bed. 

"You're not sleeping tonight?" I murmur, drawing my legs to my chest, my head resting on my knees. "You've been coped in here since you got home Jason, did you even shower after you ate?" 

"There's just so much to go over. I didn't even realize how much work being a chief would be. Usually, it'd be reserved for senior officers but considering a lot of them were arrested and I'm considered a hero of sorts I got promoted for this," he sighs leaning back into his chair.

"I see why they see you as a hero. You risked your life for your best friend and to me you're a hero, after all you're doing it all over again," I say giving him a soft smile. He looks startled for a moment before letting out a huff of laughter.

"You might see me like that but I don't like being called that. I do what I have to, if I was a police officer or if I wasn't I'd do all this and the past over again," he tells me. "Besides, can you even call me heroic for what I want to do when I get my hands on those fuckers?" he snarls.

"Have they said anything?" I question. 

"No, and we've given them the standard one phone call and shit but they refused it. I think Nash is getting pissed with seeing their stupid smirks every day, tempted to knock those shits out," he snickers. "But sweetheart, back to what I was asking, you got into a row with Cleo today?"

"I gave her a piece of my mind. I don't understand the problem she has with me anyways. Jax was in the same position as me a year ago and Charlotte, her sister-in-law got involved in all the shit he was going through and she joined in right? What makes me different?" I huff in anger. "I get the inkling that she wouldn't mind if Eiichi got to me."

"Come here Victoria," he says holding a hand for me, the other moving his papers. I uncurl my legs and walk around taking his hand as he pulls me forward to sit down on the clear space. His hands wrap around my waist as he looks up at me. "Whatever problems she has with you don't worry about it. Charlotte even told me she's acting like a bitch and I agree with her."

"I told Charlotte I didn't want to break her relationship with her sister-in-law and whatever friendship she has with you and connection she has with Oli," I tell him. 

"Charlotte can deal with her in her own way and as for me, I only got to know her when I reunited with Charlotte. I'm friends with her brother but I have no relation with her. I never met her before until then so I don't give two fucks about what she has to say. She'll have to just suck it that I'm choosing you over them," he smirks, his fingers thumbing the waistband of my shorts. 

"I have to wonder if her dislike is rooted in something deeper," I muse, a small smile tugs at my lips from his words, the same thoughts I had. 

"Whatever it is, she can keep it to herself since you're not going anywhere," he smirks. "And only Jax knows this but we're monitoring Cleo to make sure she doesn't reach out to Eiichi but the likelihood of her having any way to contact him is slim." 

"I wish I had a photo of him to show you what he looks like because even if you searched his name I'm one hundred percent sure he changed his name," I frown. Jason frowns also at my words before a frustrated look passes over his face. 

"The bastard is taunting us. He's near and he makes it fucking clear he is but we have nothing to go by," he snarls.

"Like a needle in the haystack," I snicker, my hands going to his face to smooth the lines of frustration. "You'll find him, I know you will," I say leaning down to kiss his forehead. My lips linger for a couple of seconds before pulling back.