Chapter 1

"Tori, please tell me why the fucking hell the bar is throwing a party in the middle of the week?" my best friend Cora sighs as she leans against the counter.

"I don't know why Miss manager, ask the owner Mr. Rosario whatever his last name is," I sass back at her. "By the way, I need to leave by midnight so I can get some sleep before going in for work."

"Oh yeah, I forgot some of us have a day job," she chuckles. "How's it going at the new place, elementary right?"

"Yeah, the students there are so adorable and so sweet," I gush. Back in January I was transferred to Maple Creek Elementary to be their school nurse and there's so much I've heard about the school, and not everything was in a positive light.

The last principal that was there and a teacher was connected with the mafia and a teacher plus her adopted son was caught up in the whole mess. That teacher I haven't seen yet because she's apparently on maternity leave but I have seen her kid, Wren Beckett.

"I can't believe the school board just transferred you all of a sudden," she points out.

"I don't see why you're complaining. Since I had to move back to Toronto, you call me whenever you need a hand at the bar," I say pointing a finger back at her.

"Yeah, I'm taking advantage of this as much as I can," she snickers.

"You're lucky that we're best friends otherwise I wouldn't step outside for you," I say rolling my eyes. Being friends for the last couple of years entitles her to ask me for some favours. "So what's this party for?" I ask, wiping a glass and placing it on the counter.

"I don't know, but the owner said that a client of his is throwing a birthday party or something along the lines. He just told me to bring out the best alcohol for him," she answers.

"It's amazing how you were able to keep this job until now," I sigh.

"Everyone listen up," a voice calls out. The owner walks onto the bar floor, dressed in a dark suit a commanding aura surrounding him. Whenever I see him I always feel like he might be in some shady business. As nice as the bar is, there are times I worry about Cora's safety. "Tori, I didn't realize you'd be helping tonight," he says in a gruff voice once he notices me.

"Cora said you guys might need a hand tonight though I'm only here until midnight," I reply.

"That's fine. As for the rest of you, we're getting an important client tonight, and I want the service to be top class and if any of you try to pull some fucking shit, you'll be cut from the job," he threatens. "Get back to work, they'll be here soon."

"Have I ever told you you're boss can be a bit scary," I tell Cora once he leaves.

"He's a total softie girl. I know he might look intimidating and he is pretty much all the time but honestly, he's a good boss so you don't have to worry," she tells me as one of the employees calls her name. "Duty calls, I'll be back in a bit. You know Cruz right? You'll be bartending tonight with him," she says nodding to the guy that's putting bottles of wine behind the counter. He gives me a head nod before going back to what he's doing.

"Got it, now you get out there and deal with your bosses guests," I say shooing her away as I fix my white button-down and back skirt. People start to enter the bar and after an hour passes the room is packed with people dressed in the most skimpiest of clothes to business wear. I see the owner sitting in the v.i.p section of the bar with an asian man, looks to be the same age as him.

"Tori, can you shake this and then pour it in the glass?" Cruz questions as he passes me a cocktail shaker once I've passed a glass to one of the patrons sitting at the counter.