Chapter 21

"You look much better since the last time we saw you," Charlotte says as she walks into the kitchen to hug me. "How's it healing?"

"Yeah, I probably didn't look my best," I chuckle as I hug her back. "And it's healing pretty good. The only good thing is that whatever got stuck in my leg didn't hit my bone, otherwise I'd probably have a piece of metal here," I answer as I lift the hem of my cotton shorts so she can see the scar.

"It went through cleanly, I guess that's the only positive for you," she says looking at it. 

"Yeah, and the swelling went down so that's the other plus," I add. It's been three days since the day I woke up in the hospital, they finally discharged me last night. I had the company of Oli most of the time and an officer Jason had stationed outside of my room to keep guard.

"But shit though, you went through a lot. I thought the mafia was bad but the yakuza are brutal," she says in a sympathetic voice.

"Well, they don't play around. I know their style and they go all out until the point of brutality," I sigh as I play with the strings on Jason's hoodie. I grab the crutch that's beside me, a temporary thing I'll have to use until I can properly stand on my leg as I lead her back to where the rest are.

"Need a hand sweetheart?" Jason asks from his spot on the floor, one of Charlotte's kids in his arms.

"No, I need to build-up strength on it but I'll let you know if I'm in pain," I say compromising. Ever since we came home Jason and Oli have both been more vigilant and are usually hovering to make sure I'm not in any pain.

"Victoria, good to see you're alright," Jax says, the other twin in his arms.

"Thanks, Jax, I'm glad I'm alright too," I grin as I sit down on the sofa, a hiss of pain escaping from my lips. Jason looks as if he's going to get up and come to me but I wave him off with a hand.

"Ms. Marshall?" I look to see Wren standing in front of me, a paper in hand. "I made a get well soon card for you," he says as he hands it to me.

"Thank you so much Wren," I tell him as I take the card from his hands. I look at the colourful lettering with sketches surrounding it. He goes back to playing with Oli as I place the card beside me.

"Cleo is coming right?" Charlotte questions.

"Yeah, Jason told her to come here. It has to do with what happened last week," I answer quietly.

"Wait, are you saying you think Cleo, my sister in law is involved in all of this?" she asks incredulously.

"No, I never said that but I think she knows something," I answer calmly just as the doorbell rings. Charlotte gets up with Wren and Oli following behind her. It's noisy as Cleo's bunch comes inside.

"Oli, take the boys to the basement, you have your games set up right?" Jason asks him.

"I have them," he answers as they all go downstairs, the only people left with Cleo and her husband is their newborn and their one-year-old daughter.

"Victoria, I'm so glad to see you're okay," Cleo tells me as she walks to where I'm sitting.

"I feel the same," I chuckle.

"I still can't believe that they almost killed you and Oli. The whole thing looked like a stunt scene from a movie," she continues.

"It honestly felt like it at that moment," I tell her.

"As much as I wouldn't mind the pleasantries, you have something to tell us Victoria," Charlotte says looking at me cautiously. She doesn't look visibly angry that I'm accusing her sister in law about my problems, but she does look wary and I get it. Your family is probably caught in an illegal mess, and someone who you're still getting to know is the one sharing it, yeah, I wouldn't believe it either.