Chapter 23

I hear the front door being unlocked as I finish putting on my scrubs, Oli's voice filling the house and Cindy's eagerly greeting Jason. The whole day we stayed out of each other's way. I had the television in my hands and she sat in the basement the whole time doing god knows what down there.

"Tori? Where are you?" Oli calls out.

"I'll be there in a second," I answer as I grab my jacket, wallet and phone. The only thing I replaced was my coat and phone but thank goodness I still had my wallet with me. It'd be such a hassle to replace my driver's license, health card, and all the other cards I need. I tug on my jacket and stuff my things in the pockets as I quickly walk down the hall and stairs to where Oli is waiting for me.

"Tori, I'm home," he exclaims as he jumps into my arms.

"Welcome home," I say chuckling at his enthusiasm.

"We're going to play so many games after I finish my homework because uncle said I have to but then we can play," he says in one breath.

"That sounds like a lot of fun but I have to go to work right now," I tell him in a gentle voice.

"Why? Why do you have to go? I want to play with you," he whines as he holds on to the sides of my jacket. A soft smile tugs at my lips and I gently pry his hands off of me, taking them mine and crouching down to his level even if my leg is crying in pain.

"I have work at the hospital today, I help kids just like I do at school but I promise to play with you tomorrow, deal?" I ask still smiling.

"Okay, deal," he says pouting. I feel hands on my arms as they help me stand I turn to look at Jason who's holding onto me.

"You sure that was a good idea? What if you pulled the stitches," he says in a low voice looking at me in concern. I look back at Oli who's watching us, his eyes owlishly wide.

"It's fine, it was only for a couple of seconds," I say squeezing his hand.

"What's wrong with you?" Cindy questions cutting in and for a moment I forgot she was standing here watching the whole time.

"Tori got hurt in the car," Oli pipes up answering for me. She stays silent for a moment before looking up at me with a glare.

"You were the one in the crash with him? So it was your fault it happened then," she says in anger, stepping up to pull Oli towards her. "He almost died because of you, you poor child. Jason are you really with her still even though she's the one that got our nephew into an accident?" her voice rising in pitch with each word. My voice is stuck in my throat because even though she doesn't know the whole story, she is right that it was my fault. I feel the hand around mine tighten and I look up at Jason.

"An accident is an accident, Cindy. Victoria and Oli were on the receiving end and there is nothing that can prove it was her fault it happened. Those are the facts I got after a separate division investigated it," Jason replies cooly.

"But Jason, what if it happens again," she says disagreeing.

"It won't happen again," he snaps, his eyes frighteningly cold. "Let me walk you to the car," he says to me, the anger in his voice disappearing. Oli pulls himself back from her to give me another hug.

"Bye Tori," he says squeezing me before running upstairs. I slip on my sneakers and both of us walk past Cindy who's clearly annoyed that her attempt to make Jason hate me was ignored. I wonder if another woman was in my position would she be doing the same? Probably.

"We only have one more day with her left, and I feel a headache coming she'll try to keep me company while you're gone," he sighs as he hands me the keys.