Chapter Eighty-Five: The Great War (p.3)

WARNING: Prepare for a bittersweet part 3 and 4.

Here is

Chapter Eighty-Five: The Great War (p. 3)

Natalya's POV~

"I wish it could wait, Nat, but this is serious. What I need to tell you could change your entire perspective on this battle."

I stopped moving, froze in place and blinked twice.

"Pardon?"

"I know its bad timing but I really need to get it out. It is now or never." Evelyn anxiously looked down at her fingers and back up at me with a frown, "I just don't want to keep secrets from you anymore."

"Evelyn, you are scaring me... What is it?" I urged her to spit out, forgetting about the initial annoyance of being disrupted mid-battle and showing concern.

She looked away for a long time and exhaled, before ending it with a nervous gulp. "I need you to promise you won't freak out and act on impulse."

"I can't promise you anything," I replied honestly. How could she expect me to make such a promise when I had no clue what she was going to say?

"Natalya, seriously. I'm not supposed to be telling you this anyway but as your friend, your mentor and the good of my heart, I wanted to do the right thing for once. The least you could do is help me out here... Just a tad... Please?"

I began to feel guilty when her puppy eyes and pout protruded and defeatedly huffed out. "Fine, okay! I promise not to freak out."

Evelyn gratefully smiled. "Good because once you know, you'll need to play the part if we are going to take this person down. He has done enough damage already but he will do even more if you turn your back on him now."

I curiously stepped forward and placed my hand on her arm to show I was listening.

"Eve, who are you talking about?"

She was making me anxious and honestly a little scared. Evelyn's face had paled as if she'd seen a ghost. From looking into her eyes, I could tell she was terrified about something.

"I'm talking about Preston."

She didn't even hesitate.

My heart fell to my stomach and I jerked back defensively.

"What? What do you mean? Evelyn, Pres is harmless, he would never do anything to hurt me. He loves me, he says it at least every day."

"And I'm sure you don't have any other choice but to love him back."

"C'mon Eve, you know I loved him even before the "blood bond."

Evelyn's face became stern and after her eyes flickered up to mine, they were unmoving. I had never seen her more serious about something before. "Believe me that love will soon turn to hate once you hear what he has done."

"Wha-"

I caught my tongue, crossing my arms and deciding to listen without judging. After learning that Evelyn had never made choices to intentionally hurt me, she had gained back some of my trust. Yes, they were still questionable choices but I guess she was only trying to look out for me.