Chapter Seventy-Three: The King's Order.

IMPRESS.

Chapter Seventy-Three: The King's Order.

___

"I believe you are much safer with the Demon boy than you are with anyone else Andrea, and you will see why soon," Davina deemed, her intense eyes piercing into mine. I nervously swallowed and shifted in my seat once again.

My greatest-grandfather, Daya El Rigo, looked apologetic, he must've sensed the anxiety I was beginning to feel due to the deep frown on my face that I couldn't quite get rid of. Finding out that I was going to have to possibly sacrifice my own life to end the on-going war between the supernatural scared me. Knowing that I had the power to choose whether Asten would restore its peace or not, put me in a position of uncertainty. One selfish decision on my part could end the lives of all Astenians.

Why did I have to be given what was my greatest-grandmother Andrea's responsibility, why did the prophecy have to make me the special chosen one who would bring the peace on her behalf?

"Listen, princess, you have to make sure you keep by the demon's side. As we speak now, the King is hot on your trail, and so is his son the prince. There are soldiers and guards around every corner of Icilia looking to arrest you and your brother," my grandfather informed in the most unpanicked and calmest way he could.

I knew Zac wanted to arrest and punish me for slapping him but I'd like to think that he wouldn't go on to blame Alaric for my own impulsive actions... But, why was the King hot on our trail too? Had he heard about the slap or was it something else...

"Why is the King hot on my trail?" I widened my eyes and pressed my hands against the table-side, hovering over my seat and taken back by the unexpected news.

Harrison leant in, also very interested in why the King and my brother were suddenly involved in all of this. Daya and Davina looked at each other for what felt like years before they finally turned to us and answered.

"Well..." Davina sheepishly drawled out. "Basically-" she hesitated to continue.

As soon as I had heard enough of her stutters, I rolled my eyes over to my grandfather hoping he'd have the guts to tell us why. When he eventually huffed out after I gave him a cold hard look, he went on to explain, "Natalya, I'm afraid King Creon may have finally caught onto who you and Alaric are."

My jaw dropped and I shot right to my feet, cupping my mouth in shock. "What?!" I exclaimed. "Wait..." I said running my hands through my hair, frustrated, "I don't get it, how did he just suddenly figure it out?"

"Yeah, I don't get it either," Harrison mumbled whilst scratching his chin. "Did he experience an epiphany or something?"

"Something like that, yes..." My grandfather sighed, "the King just needed someone else to suspect it first for him to easily connect the dots."

"Someone else?" I slowly leant my head to one side, eager for an explanation.

"The Queen suspected you first," Davina dryly responded, looking ever-so disgusted at the mere thought of Melisandre. "She found the files that you stole from Richard Harris in your room, the ones that had info on your mother Isabella. They were found during the search for the nixonited-ink stake."

I suddenly lifted my head, "They found what?!"

Why had I forgotten to return the damned files? Frustrated, I hit myself on the head and cursed.

"And wait- the nixonited-ink search is still going on?"

I was beginning to suspect Preston had something to do with the missing stake... There was no other way he could have gotten his hands on a nixonited stake as easily as he did. He must've stolen the last remaining one from the castle but jheez- I wonder how and when had he found the time to do that?