Chapter 22: Camera Flushes And Shutter Sounds

CHAPTER 22: CAMERA FLASHES AND SHUTTER SOUNDS

Kate's POV

Here I am. My name is Kayleena Ayla Therene Eleanore.  It's like I'm on my deathbed. I feel so weak. I'm void, totally empty, lost and on the verge of committing suicide. It's been three weeks. Three long weeks.

 I still can't believe it that my mom's gone. I'm all alone now in this cruel world. Nandito ako ngayon sa pamamahay ni Anderson Hughes. All I thought is that i'll never ever return to London again.  Hindi tumitigil itong mga mata ko sa kaiiiyak. Maybe, I'm the saddest person alive in the whole world right now. Hindi ako masyadong makagalaw. It's like i'm frozen. I've been staring at the ceiling for so long. I'm too afraid of what will happen now to my life. 

Lalo pa akong naiyak nang may kumatok sa pintuan sa kwarto ko. "My lady, your father wants to see you."

I'm not yet ready to face anyone right now but I want to give it a try. Part of me is longing for company. Without my response and permission, someone entered and I didn't bother to look who it is.

"Kate, my princess, don't grieve too much. Your mother will be so sad if you're coping this badly." Hindi ko siya matignan sa mukha kahit hawak na niya ang kamay ko. He's comforting me and I felt it. I've been longing for a father-figure for ten long years. I read my mom's journals during her funeral.  I just can't believe it that my mom and dad were trying to get back together after all the hardships they've put themselves  into, they were able to salvage their marriage. They were supposedly gonna throw a surprise revelation for me but my mom got into a ghastly car accident. A car accident which killed her! Tears run across my face and I just couldn't help it.

"Your mom will not be pleased with what you're doing right now. Be strong. I will always be here. I want to make it up to you, 10 years is no ordinary time Kate. We'll gonna move past this. I love you. I miss you so much and neither your mom and I is happy to see you this way locking yourself away." Napansin ko ang boses ni 'dad' na para bang umiiyak siya. Nabasa ang kamay ko ng mga luha niya. 

I have decided. Sa kauna-unahang pagkakataon, I will face him eye-to-eye, "Dad!" Hindi ako maubusan ng luha. Wala akong magagawa eh, masyado akong nasasaktan.

 "I'm hurting dad!" I finally scream. He hugged me more tightly this time. "It's alright my princess. We will move on and we will carry on as days pass by. Not today, maybe not tomorrow but there will come a time, that we're going to be alright and it's what your mom wants." The sound of his voice electrifies me, it's been so long since I heard his voice this clear. I suddenly miss him so much that even though he's hugging me, it's not enough, my hatred for the past 10 years, it's vanishing and I'm being emotional, being vulnerable, because right now, I'm feeling like he's my safe haven. I will exonerate all of these hatred and all I want now is for us to make the best out of life. 

Mr. Hanssen interrupt the state of the going-on when he knocks on the door, "Sir, your secretary called and he said that your next appointment will begin in an hour, sir."

Ngumiti si dad, malungkot na ngiti at hinalikan niya ako sa noo, "I love you my daughter! I need to go for the mean time."

I nod my head. Today, I'm going out. Pupuntahan ko si mom sa Kensal Green Cemetery. I will retell everything that had happened moments back. I know that she'll be so happy to hear it  that me and dad had just the most emotional conversation ever.

My closet these past few days is full of mourning dresses. Black fedora hats, black lace gloves, black dresses and black shoes.

Malapit na ako sa burial place ni mom nang maaninag ko ang isang likuran ng isang lalakeng naka-black leather jacket. Nagdala siya ng chrysanthemum blossoms with white roses and winter berry. May nasindihan na ring kandila. I can recognize the aroma of the hyacinth and bluebell candle.

I can see my mom's name engraved in that granite rock. Hindi ko mapigilang maiyak. I couldn't control my convulsive gasps and so Page turns to me. He stand up and face me, I can see his pity, his sympathy for me as he pulls me into a tight hug. "Oh Kate, be strong!" Lalo pa akong naiyak sa mga salita niya. 

"I'll make you happy, don't worry." Iyong mga salita niya tagos sa kalooblooban ko, "I don't know anymore Page. It's like I forgot how to laugh already."

Binigyan ako ni Page ng panahon para magdasal. I will definitely ever forget my mom. I hope that she's happy hearing my thoughts that I and my dad settled the gap between us already. I'll break the silence to give Page a hint that I'm done praying. I can't stand the awkward silence between us. I'm so ready to talk when he manages to talk first, "Ken and Ulrich, they're kinda busy, I know it's not an excuse but I want you to know that they're very concerned about you Kate." All I did manage is a blank stare, I want to give a hint of a smile but I just can't, "Don't worry, I understand. I miss them."

I am enjoying the grand tranquility of the atmosphere when Page jerks and pulls me into his chest. He's trying to cover me up with his leather jacket. At first, I'm annoyed of what's happening, I don't know what's going on but I can hear camera flashes, shutter sounds and I figures out that there are paparazzi on the area. I nearly forgot that Page is a renowned celebrity now. "Lower your hat Kate, I'll try my best for you not to be caught up in this mess."

Page is leading the way to nowhere. After running, we reach his car. It's tinted what a relief.

~END OF CHAPTER 22~