Chapter 24- Because I love you

Start from the beginning

"Yo soy justica" JJ says while walking into the house.

"Someone should probably" I say gesturing to JJ walking into the trailer.

"I got it" John b nods. I climb out of the car along with everyone else. JJ and John b spend a few minutes inside before JJ walks out with a black bag full of money.

"Okay everyone we're looking at about 5,000 dollars each" JJ says counting the money. John b follows close behind.

"That's what we're doing now, robbing from drug dealers?" Kie snaps.

"JJ come on this barry guys gonna find out and-" Pope starts.

"He's going to find us" Sara finishes Popes statement.

"come on just give me the back we have the gold" My brother reaches for the back when JJ slams him against the side of the car. I gasp at the sight.

"Do you feel like a tough guy huh? What are you going to do when he comes for us? For maddi?" John b questions. I just watch in shock unsure of what to do.

"We punch him in the throat" JJ says letting go of John b and climbing into the van. Nobody moves. I don't want him to do this, I don't want him to get hurt.

"Are you guys coming" JJ asks, he doesn't look me in the eyes.

"No" Pope says. JJ gets angry and gets out of the car.

"What" JJ questions.

"we're sick of your sh*t" Kie says making me cringe. JJ is just trying to help. I try to speak up but nothing comes out.

"My sh*t?" JJ asks.

"Yeah you're pulling guns of people" John b says.

"And stealing from drug dealers" Pope adds.

"Okay look, I took the fall for you man. Do you know how much money I owe because of you?" JJ says clearly hurt. I go to take a step forward but John b holds me back.

"And I'm going to pay you back" Pope replies.

"I just did!" JJ's voice rises "right here, by myself" 

"JJ"  I whisper but he still doesn't look at me.

"And that's exactly what i'm going to do, go off by myself" JJ walks away quickly. I start to follow him.

"Maddi" John b says making me turn around.

"Why would you guys do that?!" I shout. "All he does is help us and the one time he needs help you guys yell at him!" I roll my eyes and start to follow him. I jog to catch up with him walking down a dirt road surronded by trees. 

"JJ" I say out of breath finally getting next to him.

"What you come to yell at me too?" JJ snaps facing forward and still walking.

"No, I just- I didn't want you to be alone" I say quietly looking down. 

"Well I wanted to be alone!" He yells still not looking at me. 

"JJ you don't mean that" I say he finally turns to me. His eyes filled with anger and hurt.

"Yeah, yeah I do. Why do you care!? Why do you care what I do!?" He says a little quieter but still shouting. I look at him in shock. His walls were building back up but I wasn't going to let that happen.

"Because" I start. He crosses his arms over his chest.

"Because why?" He states in a angry tone.

"Because I- I love you" I say looking into his eyes. I see them soften only to go back to the anger. My heart beats out of my chest as I look at JJ.

"No, No you don't" He says turning away. My heart crumbles. I knew I shouldn't of told him, I should've kept it in but I didn't.

"Oh my god JJ!" I shout putting my hands on my head "Why won't you just let me in! why does it have to be so d*mn hard to help you" 

He spins back around.

"I don't need help, I don't need anyone. I've been fine on my own my whole life" JJ says his eye didn't reflect the ocean blue ones I knew, instead just anger. He was trying to hurt me and I wasn't going to just sit here and take it.

"you know what fine, I give up" I say looking at him throwing my hands in the air, his emotions don't change. "If you want to push everyone away then you do it JJ, I'm not going to sit around and take this"

"good" He says. And with that I turned around and started walking away. I heard him walk the other way a minute later. Once I got far enough I let the tears go. JJ didn't love me. He didn't want me. How was I so stupid to believe he does. I didn't want to go home. I couldn't I just yelled at everyone. So I went to the next best place, surfing. I held my board in my hand as I looked out at the water. I ran in letting waves splash over me. I got on my board and surfed. I surfed until I couldn't surf anymore. A salty smell ingulfed me as I rode the waves. All my problems seemed so small compared to the ocean. Once I was done I walked back onto the sand. Setting down my board and picking up my towel wrapping it around my waist.

"Maddi" I heard from behind me. I spin around only to be faced with topper.

"What do you want?" I say through my teeth.

"Is-is John b okay" He asks.

"You mean after you pushed him out of a building? Yeah" I snap. But when I looked at him I could see the guilt. I know topper was a kook, friend with rafe and a grade A a-hole. But when I looked at him I couldn't help but feel bad.

"Are you okay?" I ask. His head shoots up. 

"what?" He asks suprised. It seemed like nobody ever asks him if he's okay. Although he was always a jerk maybe it was just a front, to cover up how lonley he was. "Don't you like hate me?"

"I don't like you but I don't hate you" I say. A small smile appeared on his lips. Maybe topper wasn't so bad after all...

I know a lot of people don't like topper but I think he has a lot of potental (like steve from strangerthings). He's going to be important for when I continue the story and I wanted to set it up for that. I hope you enjoyed this chapter!