22. Redemption song

Callie peered into the library. "I come bearing gifts." Flagging a plate of pancakes in her hand, she hoped Larkin wouldn't be able to resist its delicious buttery scent, once he got a glimpse of the pastries.

His head raised briefly, from the book in his hand. "Come in."

Callie had never seen so much books in one place, not even at Jubilee Grove's public library. The Hammells' Victorian style library decked rows of book shelves which were demarcated by neatly lined up books in various genre sections, and cushy furniture where Larkin sat.

She was still awestruck by the sight of the library that Larkin seemed to notice. "You'okay?"

Callie wore a bashful smile. "Oh sorry, I am. I just love books."

Larkin leaned against the wooden chair and bounced his gaze over the library shelves, before steering it back to her. "Me too. Whenever you-ehm-come early or if you feel like staying behind to read, the doors are always open for you anytime."

Callie's heart soared. "You mean that?"

He let out a shrug, fixing back his gaze on the book laid open in front of him. "Sure. Leona comes here sometimes to study whenever her papers are near. She says the silence helps. I agree too."

Right. Of course, he was being polite to her and any other person that worked for him. He wasn't giving her any special treatment, as she had thought and hoped for. "Well, I'm here with pancakes to apologize. I heard blueberry pancakes were your favorites."

His eyes focused on the nickel grey porcelain plate in her hand. Callie had to admit how tasty it looked. The blueberry pancake she prepared, slathered its syrup down the crisp tan curves and covered the fluffy top of the pancakes like a golden honey pool of delicious sauce. Callie was grateful she still had one of her Dad's many recipes that finally came in handy, and seemed to catch Larkin's interest. "Let me guess, Maxime told you."

"Actually no, Mrs. Esther did. She always gets excited talking about you." She spoke, making Larkin snort. "She said it usually worked whenever Maxime did something Max-like."

"Thanks, I guess." Larkin remarked softly.

She dropped the plate and he swiftly took a bite. The distinct look of pleasure tingled across his face as the pancake melted in his mouth, with Larkin humming through each bite. There was something almost orgasmic watching him eat. He looked like a wolf pinning down his prey with those damn sensual lips. The mere thought brought shivers down her spine.

Callie twirled a lock of her walnut brown hair, plastering an earnest look. She really didn't want Larkin to notice a shift in her behavior. It was bad enough that something as basic as him eating, seemed to alter her thoughts. "So do you forgive me?"

"Forgive you? Did you do something wrong?" Larkin's chewing slowed down, and his expression turned blank.

Callie shot him a look of disbelief. There was no way he wouldn't have thought of her as a nuisance yesterday. "I flipped out on you yesterday night over my Dad's issue. I also said some mean things I wish I could take back and I disturbed your sleep."

There was a way he looked at her when she spoke, that made her insides quake. Larkin shrugged. "I slept fine after that."

"But still—"

"There's nothing to apologize for. You had every right. And don't worry about the issue with my aunt, it's already resolved. Your father won't get dragged into this again."

"Oh, that's great." She let out a quick sigh of relief. Her father going through another arrest might cause a breakdown she wasn't ready to nurse. "No offense, but what type of aunt goes around blackmailing her nephew? That's pretty low."

His eyes had landed on his book once more, and let out another shrug. "The kind that hates me."

"Why would she hate you? You don't mean that." Callie held a small frown on her lips.

Larkin tipped his pen back and forth, and his green eyes turned dark enough to put chills down her arms. "I got her sister and the love of her life killed."

Her eyebrows swept up. Callie had assumed it was only his parents that died in the accident. "The love of her life?"

A storm of anger burned within his eyes and his fist had tightened into a ball. "My father. It's common knowledge how much she hated my mom for marrying the man she loved. My mom tried everything in her to make up for it, but it just made things worse. They even made my aunt a board member and the C.O.O. It didn't seem enough for her to forgive them at all. But now that they're dead, she's looking for a new person to blame. I'm her new target."

Her voice had softened. "I'm so sorry."

"There's no need to apologize. I totally accept the blame. If not, I'd have had her kicked off the board." Larkin's lips had tightened. "I almost did."

Callie fumed. He didn't need to let the guilt eat himself up and hold it in. She didn't even know why she felt angry for him. It just made her upset. "Why would you blame yourself? It's not like you slit your parents' throats, right?"

"I might as well have." Larkin sighed when he caught the panicked look in her eyes. "I didn't do that. Sorry if it scared you for a second, but I'd rather not talk about it."

Rubbing her sweaty palms against her navy blue jeans, Callie said. "It's fine. I won't ask any more questions. I won't let my curiosity eat me up anymore." She did understand his need to keep his pain to himself. Callie did that every time someone brought up the topic of her mom. But now, looking at him made her realize how badly she had cut herself away from people. Almost like him.

Larkin pointed to the plate, choosing not say anything regarding her comment. "Thank you for the pancakes. They're delicious." He added. "Wanna join in?"

She blinked. "Me?"

"You've been staring at it for a while and it looks like you want to bite my head off." A smile swept on her lips, when he spoke. It was hard not to find him amusing right now. "So I'm guessing you'd want a bite."

Callie dragged a seat to his right, and plopped herself on the peanut coated chair. "Thank God. I've been too polite to ask."

Her words seemed to startle him momentarily. "Since when is Callista Blanco afraid of speaking her mind?"

"Since it started getting me in trouble lately. Haven't you noticed?" She nibbled the edges of the medium sized pancakes and blissfully devoured it without a care in the world, which made Larkin tug his lips slightly into what Callie couldn't decide if it was an attempt at a smile or if he was trying to stifle a sneeze. Whatever it was, she liked the sight.

His eyes lingered on her face, making her fully aware of his gaze. "Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind."

Callie's eyes sparkled with mirth and tipped her lips into a grin. "Yes, young master."

Larkin's groan made her laugh. "Don't call me that. I made one comment when I was seven, and they never stopped calling me that."

"I think it suits you." She shrugged. "Makes you feel like an all powerful prince living in an 18th century mansion. Considering the number of people working for you, I'm surprised you don't have a fancy British butler. Then that would complete your whole vibe."

Amusement shimmered lightly in his irises. "I guess I'll put that into consideration."

Fighting back her grin, she couldn't deny the effect he had on her. He wasn't even trying to get her attention. Not like Pierce, who made it his life's purpose to pursue her. No, Larkin was refreshing. The way he'd speak quietly and how his eyes expressed his emotions better than anybody else could, made him feel more human than anyone she had ever met.

★★★
I don't know why the song "Stuck with you" by Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber kept on playing in my head while I was writing this chapter. 💑💑😋😅. It just seemed like the right song for Larkin and Callie at this moment.
But then again, Justin Bieber's "Yummy" song feels more appropriate (I love pancakes😁😁)
Anyway, this is the bonus chapter. Please don't forget to vote and comment on this chapter whenever you can.
Xoxo
Jasmine