15. Tasty side of life

Reneé pulled out a plate full of what looked like odd little muffins and the scent alone was heavenly. "Have a taste. I'm making samples, so I can figure out what flavor I should use for my queijadas. This one has eggnogs in it. Try it."

Callie eyed the plate in her hand warily. Despite how its scent made her mouth water, it didn't look as delicious as she hoped. Large mass of sugar was sprinkled over each of them, covering its surface and leaving its corners bare. "I'm good. I just ate."

Maxime chuckled. "Oh no, she wasn't asking. No one says no to Reneé's cooking. Not even her dearest Avó."

Reneé's eyes narrowed at her. "It's not poisoned, you know."

"The way you say it, makes it sound like it is." Maxime propped himself on a seat in the kitchen, where Reneé busied herself. "You sound like one of those evil witches in movies, especially with your husky accent."

Callie let out a small chuckle that earned a glare from Reneé. "You're enabling him."

Gulping, Callie took one of the muffin lookalike from the plate. "See. I'm not. I'm excited to eat it."

"Well, eat it." Were the words from Reneé's mouth. Callie took a bite. Its sweet sugary taste began to sink in. She didn't realize when she took another one and shoved it into her mouth.

Reneé cocked her head, a small smile crept on her lips. "This one's a big eater."

Callie's cheeks flamed. She took a final chew and beamed. "The muffins were delicious."

"Muffins? Who said anything about muffins?" Reneé's nose flared. "These are queijadas. The best deserts from the beautiful land of Portugal."

"Oh no, I prefer your pastéis de nata. They taste divine." Mrs. Esther's melodic drawl echoed through the passageway, and sent a smile their way when she entered the kitchen. "It seems everyone's having their lunch break here."

Reneé pointed out. "I made some queijadas. I didn't use egg yolks this time. I mixed it up with some eggnogs."

Mrs. Esther scooped one into her mouth, without missing a beat and hummed in delight. "I swear you make the best pastries in all of Jubilee Grove, Indiana."

Reneé wore a delicate smile on her beautiful face. "Thank you, Avó."

Callie's inquisitive nature took a hold of her. "What does Avó mean?"

"Grandmother." Mrs. Esther said wistfully. "Before you ask, we're not related. Well, almost not related. Reneé's engaged to my son. But she used to call me Avó, long before she met my son. And now, we're going to be family."

"In the world's longest engagement." Maxime teased. Reneé wacked the back of his head, as Callie stifled a laugh. Maxime rubbed the spot and pouted his lips. "Hey, what was that for?"

Despite the frown on her face, light hue of brown eyes held a glint of amusement. "That's for being a nosy BODE." She accentuated the last word in a played out tone, that made Callie realise how non-English the word was.

Maxime's nose crinkled. "I really should start taking some Portuguese classes. Did you just call me a goat again?"

"Yes I did." Reneé said, picking up her plate of queijadas from the round table counter.

Maxime jolted up from his seat, racing towards her. "Hey, you can't take it away. I haven't tasted it yet."

Reneé wagged her finger. "You're getting nothing."

Maxime gaped at her for a second, then grinned when he caught that amused glint Callie had noticed before. "Oh no, you know I love you so much, Reneé Gomes. I love your queijadas just as much. Don't do this to me." Then he turned his head to a laughing Mrs. Esther. "Help me out, please."

Mrs. Esther wiped the corner of her eyes. "Sorry, Max. You're on your own."

"Sorry, if I'm interrupting anything." The teasing and laughter died down, the moment Larkin entered the room. Everyone straightened, giving him their listening ears. "I just wanted to ask Maxime if he knows where the garden shears are. The weeds are a little overgrown for—"

Maxime countered firmly. "I can't let you do that, boss. The last time you used it, you almost hurt yourself. Let me for once, help your little garden. I do the others, so let me just add it. That IS what you pay me for, right?"

"I'm not an invalid. I can take care of myself. If I needed help, I'll tell you." Larkin gritted his teeth.

Mrs. Esther tsked. "Don't be like that, young master. You know he's trying to help."

Larkin kept silent for a while, before saying. "I need the shears."

Maxime scoffed. Larkin arched a brow at him, before he finally gave in. "It's in the barn. I can get it for you. Don't—"

"I'll follow you, I need to stretch out my leg a bit. It's beginning to hurt again." He paused to glance at Callie. "I'm glad you're fitting in well with them."

Callie said softly. "I'm glad too."

He gave a small grunt and followed Maxime out. Callie whispered. "Is he always like this?"

A crease formed between Reneé eyebrows, dragging a small scowl on her face. "Like what?"

Considering how cold her reaction was, Callie hoped she didn't overstep. "Larkin. He seems so distant. And sad. It's almost hard to watch."

Reneé sighed and dipped her head slightly. Locks of her shiny brown hair fell forward, as her lips once again twisted into a frown. "You should stop worrying about him. For your sake."

Mrs. Esther murmured lightly. "Don't say that."

Callie looked at the exhaustion burning in the older woman's eyes and took her frail hand. "Are you okay, ma'am? You look very pale."

Mrs. Esther gave a stiff smile. One not quite as convincing as she thought it'd be. "You're very sweet. I'm fine. I'm a healthy 'ol gal. The person you should worry about is the young master."

"Why do you call Larkin that? Young Master. It sounds so old and strange. It just seems off." Callie asked curiously. The question had been burning in her head for hours and now, it seemed like the right moment to ask.

The distant look in Mrs. Esther's eyes seemed like she was revisiting an old happy memory, as a smile tugged her lips. "It started off as a joke. A way I used to tease him. But somehow the name stuck. It was a nickname actually. When he was younger, maybe 5 or 6, he was watching an old English film and he took a liking to a character, the prince whom everyone called Young Master. He loved the movie so much, he told everyone to call him that. His parents were amused by it, only calling him that to tease him. Soon I joined in too, and it's been so long since I've called him by his name. I don't think I can stop now, even if I wanted to. It's the one thing his parents called him, and I wanted him to hold onto something tied to his parents."

Callie felt a lump in her throat. Somehow, it felt like she could feel his pain. The burning hurt of losing someone made her throat tighten. She could feel the tears threatening to spill out and she knew she had to excuse herself. Her voice cracked. "I—ehm—I need to take some air. Sorry, excuse me."

Mrs. Esther pressed on, her face softening. "Are you alright?"

She could only give a weak smile, as she let herself out of the house, ignoring the puzzled looks the two women gave her. Once she was out in the open field, she hugged her arms tightly and let out slow shaky breaths. Her nerves raised and the cold windy air tingled against her arms, bristling the grasses on the dew covered lawn.

"Is everything okay with you?" Her gaze flickered to Larkin leaning against his walking stick, watching her with an intense magnetic look. One she couldn't help, but to keep her eyes glued on.