19. Moving in circles

Gordon Newt prep. school's cafeteria was packed and filled with students separated by diverse cliques. Groups of friends huddled around different round shaped tables, struggling to enjoy the terrible cafeteria food and just mingling with each other.

Naomi's eyes flickered to Callie, who aimlessly stirred the fork in her plate for minutes, without actually taking a bite. "Are you okay, Cal? Usually when I see stuff like this, I just play dumb. But you actually seem distracted. Or is this one of those moments where you'd be keeping secrets from me and I'm supposed to let it go?"

Callie gave her a quick glance. "That's not true." It wasn't like she didn't want to share things with her, Callie just found it hard to share her problems with anyone. Naomi had a pretty normal life. Rich parents. Stress free life. No actual worries. She just didn't think Naomi would be able to relate with her middle class problems. Naturally, Naomi wasn't the pushy type. She could get curious about things, but would never force you to talk. Well, unless when she's frustrated, like right now.

Naomi nibbled on her meatloaf, keeping her grey eyes narrowed. "Sometimes I wonder if you even trust me. Or worse, if you actually see me as your friend. You're my closest friend, dare I say, best friend. But I feel more distant from you everyday and it scares me. I, at least, need to know if you're going through a depressive state."

"I'm not depressed. I'm just sad." Callie retorted. "My aunt went on her band tour this morning. That sneaky woman left as early as 4am, to beat the traffic and I didn't get to properly say goodbye."

Naomi pursed her lips. "Aunt Georgia, right? I'm so sorry. Now, I feel like a jerk. My reporter instincts kicked in, when I should have been sympathetic. I really don't do well with sympathy." Naomi worked at the school paper doing fluff pieces here and there, but her real dream was to be a reporter, traveling all over the world.

A brief smile lingered on Callie's lips. "I know, it's fine. I'm just a little shaken up by her absence. It feels weird not to see her, even if it's for six months."

"I'm know I'm not great at being soft and vulnerable. It's too yucky for me." Naomi cleared her throat. Callie's smile pulled out, and she let Naomi continue talking. "And I know how close you and Aunt Georgia are but if you need anyone to talk to, I'm here. I may not give you the answer you'd want to hear. Hell, it may turn out too brutal, but I still want you to know that I'm here for you."

There was a rawness in Naomi's voice that Callie didn't usually see. "And you say you're not good at being vulnerable. You're doing pretty well."

A snort eased its way out of her mouth. "Yeah, yeah. I'm trying my best. I just don't want to you to feel like I don't care about your problems. I'm certainly not a rich stuck up bitch. I'm human too."

Callie leaned closer and lowered her voice. "Now I'm curious why you're acting different all of sudden."

Naomi rolled her eyes. "Just eat your food. I'm too hungry right now."

Once again, Damien Pierce's voice hollered out, ruining their emotional moment. "Hey, Callie."

Callie did a double take. He wasn't annoyingly calling her "Mi Bella". Pierce was actually calling her by her name for once. Did he have a brain injury, or something?

He had a tray of food in his hand and a wide smile on his lips. She didn't think she had seen anyone smile as much as Pierce did. It was almost plastic-like and too uncomfortable to look at. He pointed at an empty seat. "Can I join in?"

Naomi's gaze flew to Callie's, who hesitantly said. "Sure, why not."

Pierce turned his head towards another side and called out. "She said we can."

Callie's eyes widened. Who the hell is "we"? Tailing behind Damien Pierce, was unsurprisingly Harvey Sykes, and none other than Viola Fawn and Maddie, Viola's closest friend and one of the actresses in the school play.

Viola sneered, when she caught the drawn expression Callie had worn. "Trust me, I don't want to be here, but Damien insisted."

Not minding the awkwardness between them, Pierce grinned. "I wanted my best friends to hang out with your best friend, so we can all be friends."

Callie eyed the people sitting on the table. "I don't think your friends want to be my friend."

Giving a slight flicker of her blonde hair while she tried to eat, Maddie answered. "Well, Naomi doesn't look like she wants us here too."

Naomi rolled her eyes. "Oh no, don't include me in whatever this is. Since you guys like being dickheads to me, I'd rather not be in your little game."

He made at small glance at her and his blue eyes gleamed. "Game? This isn't a game. I'm trying to undo my mistakes. I never got the chance to know you and you've been surprisingly patient with me. So this is me making amends."

Naomi's dark shade of golden brows raised up. "And how do we know it's not a one day thing? How do you want to make amends? By following us around like lost puppies?"

No one seemed to buy Pierce's attempt at a laugh. Viola grinned, as she ate.

Pierce rubbed the back of his neck, slightly touching the tips of his black hair. "You have quite the sense of humor, don't you?"

Callie simply said. "But she's right about one thing. I don't need your shadow tailing me around."

Harvey whispered in a hushed tone. "I told you this won't work."

"Not now, Harv." Pierce glared at Harvey, before giving another megawatt smile. "Don't think of me as a shadow. Just see me as a friend who wants you to let me into your own world."

Viola let out a mocking laugh. "I'd love to see the end of this." Pierce shot her a look, which she ignored.

"A friend? I hope you're standing by this one this time around." Callie said, before letting out a loud sigh. "I guess I don't mind seeing your friends around me at lunch."

Naomi wagged her finger and firmly warned. "Just avoid talking about hair or make up and any pointless celebrity crushes."

Viola scoffed. "I don't even know what you think we are. Just cause we look amazing doesn't mean we're a bunch of barbie dolls." Then she tapped the edges of her vermilion red hair that curled across the corners of her face and fell to the nape of her neck. "But then again, I'm sure Barbie would wish she looked like me."

Maddie hi-fived her. "Good one." And the two friends exchanged laughs.

Callie fought back a groan. She couldn't believe Damien Pierce had wormed his way into her world. Firstly, by getting a role in her play and now, by trying to befriend her only friend. She missed the solitude that came with her world and now, it felt like everything around her was just bombarded with things she didn't need.