Chapter 29

Jennie took a stroll back home after hailing a cab to her neighbourhood. She wondered why her parents never called about why she wasn't home last night, but that wasn't the most important thing at the moment.

When she entered her house silently, her heart was thumping against her chest. She kept assuring herself that it would go fine but to deny that she was the least bit distraught was a lie.

She walked into the living room and looked around but it was surprisingly quiet.

Jennie glanced at her phone and saw that the time was already nine in the morning so she thought her parents probably left to tend the store but that was until they came running out of their bedroom.

She was startled from her parents perturbed expressions.

"Jennie you're back? Sorry honey we have to leave first, can you help take care of Alice?" Richard said hastily as he helped his wife grab her coat from the couch.

Jennie whipped her head over to her mom when she spoke.

"Yeah, something came up suddenly and we have to go check it out." Susan said as she hurriedly fit on her shoe, "The landowner called and said our store was closed down."

Shock and disturbance was written all over Jennie's face when she heard what her mom said. This news apparently dropped like a bombshell.

"What? Why?" Jennie exclaimed, not wanting to believe it. It was not that she overreacted, but the fact that her parents store closed out of the blue was suspicious. And seeing her parents all hassled out made her agitated. She knew how much effort they had put into this store since it had been theirs for a good ten years. It was also her parents dream to open and run this store, so watching it tear down like this, possibly leaving them with nothing scared her for her parents.

"We have no idea as well, that's why we're going to check it out." Susan shortly replied and barged out the door in an instant.

"Don't worry too much dear, we'll be home once we get clear of it." Richard reassured, following his wife suit.

What in the hells is going on? Jennie thought, all baffled out.

Should I call Lisa?

"No, not yet." The brunette calmed herself down as she walked towards Alice's room to do a quick check on her. Thankful her sister was still asleep, Jennie paced back and forth in the living room.

She planned to spill her situation to her parents but thought to hold it off till later as the store was in a sense more important at the moment.

What if it really closed down forever? Jennie gasped. She didn't think her parents would be able to handle it well. Yes, it was just a store, a literal non-living thing. But the fact that it has been the pillar of support for the whole of her family ever since the business took it's pace made it special.

Very special to her parents.

Jennie furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. But it made no sense to suddenly shut down though?

Maybe someone did this. But who?

And why would they do it? When the store has been there for years? That made no sense either.

When Jennie hit a realisation, she wanted to put it off but her consciousness was getting to her. Her eyes dilated it's way around as she gave it deeper analysation.

"No, I'm sure he wouldn't do that." Jennie insecurely and hesitantly grabbed her phone that was in her pocket and dialled the number she sincerely hoped wouldn't be the cause of this.