𝐟𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩, 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬- mileven (pt. 1)

word count:
829

warnings:
issa new series what about it?, swearing, 90s/00s style of narration ig

summary: fake dating isn't always just fake

a/n: hello loves so im back with some new inspiration for a new little series and i hope you enjoy!! few quick things here: 1) PLEASE READ MY MESSAGE BOARD I HAVE A LINK TO WAYS TO SUPPORT BLM ! i truly care about this movement and though i am not black i want to use my voice to spread awareness ! 2) please know that when i write imagines and fanfiction for fillie i am in no way trying to "force" them to be together !! this is purely for entertainment and im not trying to say they belong together because i understand it's lowkey weird to ship real life people and ik what that did to them in 2018/2019 so im not forcing it these imagines are for fun and more so like "face-claims" 🖤❤️
{MODERN AU}

✧✧✧

"Did El get a new blouse?" Mike asks dreamily, his hand acting as a support beam for his chin, his eyes gleaming at the girl sitting with her friends.

"Mike, you've already asked us. It's the same one she wore a few weeks ago, she's just wearing it with different jeans." Dustin rolls his eyes, currently in a rock, paper, scissors battle with Will.

"Oh... well she looks especially beautiful today." Mike replies, not noticing Max stealthily stealing one of his fries from his tray.

"You know that she doesn't know who you are, right? She's the number one star on the volleyball team, she's placed first chair in band every year, she's super popular, and she's top of most classes. She's not going to notice the kid who still plays with legos and wears Star Wars shirts." Max points out, her role of the friend group being the blunt one.

"Yeah... but at least I can admire her from here."

"Yeah like a stalker." Max snorts, smacking the back of Mike's head.

"I'm not a stalker."

"Yes you are."

"I am not!"

"You are too!"

"How about you both just shut up?" Lucas chimes in, smiling sarcastically at the two bickering friends.

Max rolls her eyes, watching El get up from her table to go to the vending machine across the cafeteria.

El Hopper. Hawkins High School's most popular student. Known by all groups: cheerleaders, jocks, nerds, band geeks, emos, spoiled kids and kiss-ups alike. She didn't get her popularity like the Regina George's of schools. She got popular for being a good person. She was nice to everyone (even the walking and quite bitchy Barbie dolls) and was super chill, smart, beautiful, and funny. No one could find it in them to not like El.

But that also meant many people worshipped the ground she walked upon. Boys, girls, non-binaries, bigenders and more all fell at her feet; desperate to get a date or two. Many of them even broke up with their current significant other simply because she walked by them.

El didn't let that change who she was though. She remained the kind and carefree spirit that seemed to attract so many people to her, romantic or platonic.

And Mike just happened to be one of many who had fallen for the girl. Except in his case, he didn't have the courage to speak even a word to her.

Call it cowardly, maybe. In Mike's words it was "smarter".

Why?

"Because then I won't have to face the rejection upfront."

However, the heart wants what it wants, so though Mike knew he had no chance with the ethereal girl, he still yearned for her.

The one person who reminded him most frequently of his non-existent chance to be with El was Troy.

Troy Walsh.

Notorious bully, though quite basic for a bully. Steals lunch money, throws paper airplanes at his victim's heads, pantsed some in the hallways, mean but at the same time unoriginal nicknames... nothing special really.

Later that day, during the last passing period of the school day, Troy made his way right towards Mike.

"Oh for fucks sake." Mike mumbles to himself, shoving his last folder in his backpack.

"Look who we have here. What's up frogface?"

"Leave me alone Troy, I didn't do anything to you."

"Yeah but you're existence just happens to annoy me."

"Feeling's mutual."

"Anyways, just wanted to stop by to my most entertaining victim. Nice hair, loser." Troy mocks Mike. Troy had always mocked Mike for his curly mess of hair, but Mike didn't find it in him to give a single fuck.

"Look in a mirror recently?" Mike shoots back, zipping his backpack.

"Going to the dance with anyone? You know... besides your mom?"

"Funny, I vividly remember your mom seems to enjoy my company."

"What's going on with you two?" A soft and soothing voice comes up behind the two boys, causing them to turn.

Mike immediately feels his face heat up, and his jaw slacks slightly.

El Hopper stood right before him, looking gorgeous as always. Her shoulder length hair was braided neatly on one side, and her glasses rested flawlessly against the bridge of her nose. Her eyes gleamed under the school's bright lights, peering at the two boys with an arched eyebrow.

Neither said a word, Mike's brain having been mushed after seconds.

"Is he bothering you?" El addresses Mike this time. Mike opens his mouth to reply, shuts it, opens it once more, just then to decide against using words and instead nods.

"Troy. Leave him alone." El turns to the taller boy, her eyes sending daggers.

El was a kind person to everyone, but she wasn't afraid to step up to anyone who insults innocent people.

"Why do you care?" Troy rolls his eyes, unfazed by her glare.

El sends a glance to the curly haired boy, a small smile tracing her lips.

"Because he's my boyfriend."

✧✧✧

someone once told me they saw me as a celebrity on this app and i cried 🥺