Promise part 1- Mileven

Mike's pov
The last song had come to an end, as the Snowball ended. People left, chattering loudly. El and I were still standing there, foreheads touching as if it was our source of life.

I couldn't let go.

El would go back with Hopper. And who knew how long it would be until I saw her again?

Hopper has to hide her in the woods, far from here. She was given one more year of confinement.

"Guys! It's time to go!" Dustin called, standing with the others.

"Mike..." El whispered, tears forming.

"El. I'm going to miss you." I whispered back. She smiled sadly, tears spilling out. Tears fell slowly down my face too.

"We will try to see each other." I said, as she nodded. "Kid! Come on!" Hopper called, walking in with Joyce in his arms.

"Mike, I love you." El said. Hopper had taught her what love meant, but I never thought she would say it to me.

My heart was bursting in my chest.

"I love you too." I said, pressing my lips against her tinted lips. She kissed back gently, both of us not wanting this moment to ever end.

We pulled away, and El whispered. "Promise me I'll see you again."

"Promise." I whispered back.

"Goodbye Mike." She said as Hopper called for her again.

"Goodbye El." I said, heart breaking as I said the words I dreaded.

She walked over to Hopper, and he took her out of the building. Tears fell, as I looked down at my feet.

"Come on." Will said, walking to me. I sighed and walked out of the building with them.

They were kind about it, didn't press on the topic. But they didn't understand.

Lucas had Max who lived close. Will and Dustin weren't in love.

I hope we can keep the promise.