𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐢 𝐬𝐞𝐞- mileven (au) pt. 4

word count:
1949 (bit of a doozy)

warnings:
angst (probably the most angsty chapter yet), bad writing, i think it only has one swear word but oh well

summary: the party lives in a world where women are born without seeing color, but see color depending on the emotion their soulmate makes them feel when they meet, and sees all colors when they connect. eleven knows that mike is her soulmate, but she keeps to herself.

that is, until a certain someone named rachel makes her vision go pure green

a/n: based on dear-selena 's series on tumblr :)
{modern au}
{soulmate au}
[told in eleven's pov]

✧✧✧

The weekend seemed to drag on for an eternity, the anxiety continuing to bubble in the pit of my stomach.

After Mike left to go back home, I had a short period of two days to come up with a plan to tell Mike about my whole soulmate situation. I had spent a lot of my time sobbing in my bathroom, the blue beginning to be more prominent. My mind continued to go over it's different possibilities of how telling Mike would result. My favourite was the one where he picked me up, smashed our lips together, and confessed that he was glad we were soulmates.

But of course, good possibilities have as much of a chance of occurrence as bad possibilities. I hated when the one scenario popped into my mind of him rejecting me, or telling me that he wishes it was Rachel... and even leaving me in general, our friendship being destroyed.

My mind was constantly screaming at me of how he wouldn't want me to be his soulmate. I could practically imagine his look of disappointment, whispering something about how I wasn't Rachel.

The hopeful thoughts in my mind are soon flooded with anxiety. Why would he prefer me to Rachel? Rachel was perfect. She was kind, funny, popular, gorgeous. Compared to her, I was a particle of dust against a diamond.

The dreadful thoughts follow me all the way through the weekend, and are even blaring in my mind when Monday rolls around.

I walk without purpose to my locker, constantly reminding myself to take deep breaths, afraid that if not I may slip into a panic attack.

I shoved my lunch into my locker carelessly, trying to ignore the purple I saw. I had seen purple a few times due to Mike, and his reckless behaviour at times. This time was different though, I was afraid to be around Mike, not afraid for Mike.

I peek at the small mirror on my locker door, taking note of my enormous bags beneath my eyes. My hair was slightly knotted at the ends, and my eyes were drooped with sadness and fear. I sigh shakily, rolling my shoulders in a feeble attempt to lessen my stress.

"Someone looks like they missed out on their necessary beauty sleep." A voice snaps me from my anxious thoughts, and I turn to see Max leaning against the locker next to mine.

"Couldn't sleep. I was busy... thinking of something." I refrain from telling her about my plan. I trusted Max with my life, but this was something I felt I could handle myself.

"Like how you're going to tell Mike you're his soulmate?" My breath hitches, and I turn to look at her with wide eyes. She lightly smirks, her eyebrow raised as she looks at me expectantly.

"W-What?" I gasp out, and she snickers.

"I knew you would tell him eventually, you've been ignoring him on our group chat. Plus, I'm awesome." She dramatically flips her red hair and I would usually laugh at it, but my throat seems to be too tight to let out a laugh.