Chapter 29

"What's going on?" I asked Rosa as we rushed down the hallway. She just entered my office without knocking and said she needed me. I decided to follow her because I could hear the urgency in her voice. It had me worried especially since she didn't give me any explanation. My mind was already thinking of the terrible scenarios that could've happened.

"One of the guards found her mate but he's absolutely terrified of everything and everyone. He's showing clear signs of abuse. Obviously, you were the first person I thought to get but the King wanted you to take Alpha Callahan with you," she told me. "Personally, I don't see why he has to be there but I can't really argue with a king. Can I?"

"You can calmly state your opinion and see what would happen. But I think Zaine should come with me. King Eric and I agreed that Zaine needs some sort of training to deal with these situations. Now is the perfect time for me to see where to start," I informed her.

Zaine and I have been working closely together the past few days. He didn't like leaving me alone of my nightmare even after I assured him I was fine. After a while, I got annoyed and we talked everything out. We came to the agreement that we'd work together and he wouldn't follow me around the rest of the day. We talked for a few hours just to get to that simple agreement. But Zaine was really worried about me and really stubborn.

Working with Zaine has actually not been that bad. He does get bored every few hours and tries to get me to take a break with him. Somehow, it isn't annoying. I actually enjoyed the fact he made me take breaks because sometimes I worked an unhealthy amount of hours straight. Plus, it gave me more time with Olivia and my pack.

The one thing we haven't gotten to was his training. We planned it for next week as we both were really busy. I have no idea where all my free time came from before because now that I'm working again, I feel like I have no free time at all. The same goes for Zaine. I have no idea how he had so much free time before we started working together. If with Eric helping him, Zaine still had a lot of work to do. I'm pretty sure he didn't sleep at night before this because he was spending a lot of time doing other things.

"I guess that makes sense but I still don't like him. I know you two are working on things but I still think he's an arse," she stated.

She started to slow down as we got closer to the medical rooms. We must be close to the guard's mate. "He did a lot of shitty things but I don't think he's an arse any more. I still think he's an idiot though," I told her, chuckling slightly.

"Agree to disagree," she shrugged. "Now, the guy is behind this door. His mate is in there as well as Emma but they are standing quite far away from him. They can't manage to get close to him without him not shaking and crying."

"Noted. Do you know where Zaine is?" I asked.

As soon as I said that, I could smell his familiar scent getting stronger. "I'm here! I came as soon as I heard," Zaine said, slightly out of breath. "I'm ready to listen to whatever you have to say, Princess. I don't want to mess up."

"He wants to prove himself to us. It's sweet. He's really nervous," Artemis informed me. It was kind of sweet but there were more important things to focus on. Like the guard's mate.

"Just do what I do and you'll be fine. Don't get to close and don't say anything stupid," I warned him.

He nodded, confirming he understood. So I decided to walk in. He knew what he was doing. At least I think. He isn't that bad when dealing with these situations as long as he doesn't get upset. So, we should be fine. Hopefully.