Chapter 17

Weddings are an important tradition for my pack. Some packs don't have weddings instead they have small ritual ceremonies. But we've never had a small wedding. Weddings are a meaningful moment for every pack member as it gives everyone hope. My pack loves weddings so much that, since everyone works together, it only takes three days to get the wedding ready. Three whole days! 

Day one is the day you decide what you want. Each pack member has a wedding role. The cooks give the bride and groom samples to taste. There are bakers for the cake. Designers for a custom made dress and suit. Decorators and party planners talk to the bride and groom to see what they want. Then they turn their vision into reality. There's even a team dedicated to solving problems that may arise.

Day two is the bachelorette and bachelor parties. Each party is specifically designed for the bride and groom. Making sure everything is satisfactory. While the parties are going on, everyone else is working hard setting up the wedding. The atmosphere is stressful while everything is getting ready. But once it's done, everyone is proud of their work. The temporary stress is always worth it.

Day three, the last day, is the wedding. Today is that day for Sophia and James. I've been with Sophia the entire day so I had no idea how James was feeling. However, Sophia was super nervous. 

"What if the dress doesn't fit? Or if I don't like it? Goddess, Alexa so many things could go wrong," she rambled.

"Sophia, the dress will fit. Your weight hasn't changed in a day. If you don't like the dress, the designers can fix it. They've done it before and if anything goes wrong, there are many people who are ready to fix it," I informed her. "Now, take a deep breath and let Evan finish doing your hair so you can get dressed."

She gave me an embarrassed smile and relaxed slightly. The designers brought her dress in right as Evan finished her hair. Everything was running smoothly. When Sophia saw her dress, her eyes light up and she rushed to try it on. Evan scolded her and told her to watch her hair.

I chuckled and went to help Sophia get her dress on. Her dress was a ball down with a v-neck and off the shoulder sleeves. The long sleeves and top were decorated with beautiful lace. Her dress was romantic yet sexy. She looked stunning. James was going to speechless. 

"I can't believe this. I'm getting married. This- all of this is real," she smiled at her reflection. Tears brimmed her eyes.

I responded, "It is. Now, let's put the veil and jewellery on so we can go." 

She quickly finished getting ready as I made sure everyone else was ready. Soon the wedding began. Everyone stood up as bridesmaids and groomsmen walk in together. I was the last one to walk in along with Alpha Zaine since he was the best man and I was the maid of honour. I didn't completely like the idea of walking with him but I didn't complain. It wasn't my wedding. So, I ignored the sparks and made my way down the aisle to my place.

A smile made its way onto my face as Sophia walked towards us. Tears brimmed her eyes once more as she looked at James. His face held pride and pure happiness as he looked right back at her. The wedding was beautiful as King Eric officiated it. James and Sophia's vows made me tear up just a bit.

When it was time for the party, everyone was excited. Sophia's ballgown had a removable skirt which she took off to make a shorter version of her dress that she could dance in. After everyone got their food, Alpha Zaine got up to make a toast.

"I've known James for my whole life. He has stood by me no matter what and I have done the same. I've never seen James so happy in his entire life. Well except when Mrs Jenkins got fired. He really believed that she had it out for him after he failed math in third grade. In all seriousness though, Sophia, you make James happy. He loves you more than anything and I'm glad he's found you. You two deserve each other," Alpha Zaine said, smiling.

Everyone clapped as he handed me the microphone and sat down. I grinned at everyone. I practised my speech so many times that I memorised it word for word. I didn't want to mess it up.

"For those of you who don't know me, I'm Alexa King and I'm Sophia's maid of honour. Believe it or not, I have actually know Sophia and James as long as they've know each other which hasn't been that long. I know it's nearly impossible to tell when you watch them together. Whenever one of them talks about each other, I swear the conversation could go on for hours. They love each other so much it's almost incomprehensible. James, I know you'll treat her right and you'll never hurt her on purpose so I won't threaten you. Yet. And Sophia, if you ever need me to beat his arse, I'll do it. Don't worry. Now I don't want to take up more of your time because I can tell everyone is hungry. So I'll just say one more thing. You two are perfect for each other. I believe the Moon Goddess knew what she was doing when you two crossed path. May you both live long and happy lives with each other," I spoke confidently.

Sophia and James hugged me tightly before I sat. Then James announced it was finally time to eat. Chatter filled the room as we all ate. Zaine and I even managed to have a decent conversation for once. After everyone was done eating, it was time for the first dance. Sophia was leading the dance with James because it was clear he couldn't dance to save his life.

Once the first dance was over, everyone joined. I really wasn't up for much dancing so I went outside for a bit. Seeing this wedding while it made me happy for them also made me feel down. I wanted what they had with someone. I wanted it with my mate but I knew that wouldn't happen. Maybe there's a chance I'd meet the right guy for me. Like Sophia found James. Maybe. One day.

"What's wrong?" My mate voice caused me to jump. His eyes softened and his thumb whipped away a stray tear. I forced myself not to lean into his touch. No matter how much I wanted to be in a relationship with him. It wouldn't happen. He hates me. Though no matter how much I tried, I couldn't hate him. I could be disappointed in him but not hate him.

 I sighed and moved away from him. "Nothing. I was just thinking," I responded. Maybe I should tell him. Maybe he could help. But, then again, he might make things worse. Why can't I think straight when he's around?

"You always think too much. Want to talk about it?" He said softly.

"I want what they have," I told him. "I know it's selfish but, Goddess, I want to marry someone I love who loves me. But I know it's not going to happen. I won't allow myself to love anyone but my mate. But, because you keep hurting me, I refuse to let myself get close to you. So what the hell am I suppose to do? Maybe I'm destined to be alone with Olivia. Maybe it's time I just accept that."

I don't know why I told him. I guess I needed his support. Alpha Zaine starred at me for a few seconds as I shuffled uncomfortably. I sighed and went to walk inside. Sparks went up my arm as he grabbed me. "Wait, dance with me," he asked.

I slowly nodded my head as he led me inside to the dance floor. His arm gripped my wrist causing me to tense slightly. Don't like him. I can't. "Alpha Callahan, what are you doing?" I inquired.

"Dancing," he responded. "Don't call me Alpha Callahan. It's too formal."

"Alpha Zaine, why are you dancing with me?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Because I can."

Author's Note: Sorry for the short chapter but I really liked writing it. It was sweet. I hope you enjoyed reading it.