Chapter 20: The Long Road

Start from the beginning

"Hey! Get back here!" You hear one of them call out to you. You run a bit further into the woods and hack at the base of a massive tree. The wood starts to creak as the weight shifts to one side of the trunk. You take your rope, tie a lasso, and toss it up and around a branch. The shouts start to get louder as you run across the path to the other side and climb up a smaller tree. The bandits come into view and start to let out wild shots towards the town. You let them continue on and wait until the core of them are under the tree. Once they are, you pull at the rope and the base of the tree snaps, causing it to fall and land on top of a collection of bandits. The rest continue on towards the town and you start to jump from tree branch to tree branch until the woods end. The guards and bandits are already engaged in a heated battle as you make your way to the core of the action. You start to shoot and hack and slash away at anyone that stands opposed, but the shear number of bandits start to overwhelm the small number of town guards, with a good number of them already injured or worse.

"We need to fall back!" You hear one of them yell as flames start to engulf a few of the buildings that lie on the outskirts of town. The guards start to fall back towards the center of the town as the bandits begin to fully overwhelm the small force. You try your best to quell the tide of bandits, but slowly begin to fail as the guards pull away from the area you are fighting. You start to back away from the main group, letting out gunshots as the bandits continue to pursue you. You reach and corner and break into a run down the alley, hearing gunshots hit the sides of the wall around you as you run. You eventually burst into a side door and into a house.

"Too...fucking...many." You say between heavy breaths as you rest your hands on your knees. You look up and see a little boy staring back at you, eyes full of fear as his younger sister peaks out from behind him. The little boy, appearing to not be older than five, is wielding a kitchen knife, but his hands tremble and it clatters onto the floor. He scrambles to grab it, but sweaty palms prevent him from grabbing it.

"Shhh hey hey hey." You reach forward and rest a hand on his shoulder. "I am not going to hurt you." He looks up at you.

"Why are they hurting us?" He says with a cracked voice.

"Where is mommy and daddy?" The little girl asks from behind him.

"I don't know, but you need to hide from the bad people okay? Go get under a bed or hide in a closet. Please." The little boy nods his head and takes his sister's hand, the both of them running up the stairs. You sigh and peak out the back door that you used to run into the house, the sounds of screams and gunshots flooding your ears. You run out from the alley and onto one of the main roads of the town, looking around wildly for any sign of an opposition to the bandits. You see a small collections of guards holding out in the town square, using tipped over concrete tables and metal half walls for cover as the bandits circle in. You start to walk towards them, letting out shot after shot and trying to draw the attention off of them.

"Hey! Over here assholes!" You yell out to them as you continue to pepper their position with shotgun blasts. The bandits can no longer ignore you and have to do their best to focus on you as well as the guards, this allowing the guards to get an upper hand and slowly push outwards from their position. A few bandits run at you, but you cut them down while many of their allies start to scatter. Then, from seemingly out of nowhere, a black haired women wearing a mask that resembles a Grimm appears in front of you.

"You...I..." Before you can finish, she starts to move forward towards you, slashing her sword. You slowly back away, readying your weapon as the woman gets closer. She lunges forward and swings down at you, but you connect with your handle and push her advance back. She staggers and you go to land a blow to her side, but she parries and sends your attack to the side. Before she is able to go in for a counter attack, a shady looking man runs up to her.