Chapter Nine- Deal with the Devil [EDITED]

Scarlett's POV

Oh hell nah. He did not just call me a whore.

"What did you just call me?" I asked just to make sure I heard him well.

"You head me" he says with a stupid smirk.

"Listen here you shitty piece of shit. I am NOT a whore. I worked as a fucking DJ in case you peanut sized brain couldn't figure that out. But thanks to you I lost that job. Happy now?" I ask on the brink of tears.

"Oh yeah right. Listen Scar, I really am sorry for what I did to you. I really didn't mean to get you fired" he apologizes and I just stare at him.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement. Why is he apologizing now?

"Sorry isn't good enough Mr Xavier. You can't just say sorry, and expect everything to go back to normal. Sorry doesn't bring back my job now does it?" I say and turn to leave.

"Wait! I know it doesn't but at least let me help you. I mean, after all, I am the reason you got fired in the first place. You can work in my house." He says and I look at him as if he has grown another head.

"You want me to work in your house. As a fucking maid?" I ask just to clarify.

Is he fucking serious?

"Yeah I know it's not as interesting as your previous job, but, it's the least I can do for getting you fired. I'll pay you twice as what you were getting from the club." he says and my eyes widen.

Twice as much means twice as much money which means two times faster to saving Claire. But is it really worth it? What the hell am I saying. Of course it's worth it, I'm doing this for Claire. Sigh, the things I do for the people I love.

"Fine I'll do it. What time do you want me to start?" I ask.

"How about tomorrow? I'll take you to my house after school. I live alone so you won't have much trouble cleaning the place. You will work for three hours a day and I'm going to need you to sign a contract which says you approve of this" he adds on.

Three hours a day with the devil, this should be interesting.

"Ok then, I'll see you tomorrow Mr Xavier" I say and with that, turn around and go to the cashier to pay for my things and leave.

When I get home, I prepare a meal for myself and my parents. I climb up the stairs to wake my parents up for dinner.

"Mom? Dad? Its dinner time." I say and they groggily get up and follow me downstairs.

"Wow Scarlett you made all of this?" my mom asks as she sees all the delicious delicacies I prepared.

"Yes mom. I'm not a kid anymore you know." I say and sit at the dining table to eat.

"Well you certainly aren't. My little baby is a grown woman" my mom says and reaches over to pinch my cheeks.

"Mom" I whine and smack her hands away.

She just laughs and sits well in her seat.

"So honey how was your day?"  my dad asks.

"Oh the usual. Ryan came over for movie night last night and we ended falling asleep in the middle of the movie" I say.

"No surprise there" my dad mumbles and my mom snickers.

I glare at them and they raise their hands up in surrender.

"As I was saying. We fell asleep and when I woke up this morning, Ryan had eaten all the food in the fridge. You guys came home around that time. So yes when you went to bed I took it upon myself to go to the grocery store. I met the asshole who got me fired and he offered me a job as his maid. He's paying me twice the amount I was getting from Serpents. I came home and made dinner and here we are" I say and dad's eyes widen.

"I'm sorry, can you repeat the part about Serpents and assholes?" he says.

I forgot I didn't tell my dad about this part.

"OK dad you'll need to listen carefully. We got a new substitute in school a few days ago. He hates my guts I'm sure. Anyways yes he gave me detention and that made me late to my nightly shift at Serpents, which is a strip club by the way" I say and he opens his mouth to ask the question everyone asks.

"No dad I'm not a stripper. I was the DJ." I say and I see him take in a breath of relief.

"What's your teacher's name?" my dad asks.

"Substitute. And his name's Jake Xavier." I say and he gasps. Just like mom gasped when I told her his name.

"Jake Xavier? He's here?" my dad asks looking at my mom and she nods her head sadly.

"I'm sorry am I missing something here?" I ask

"Jake is our boss. He doesn't exactly like children so your mom and I are a little surprised to hear he's a substitute teacher.

"To be honest I don't care who he is. I just can't wait for our old teacher to come back and Jake can crawl back to whatever hole he crawled out of" I say and my parents laugh.

Dinner continues with small talks between us and I get up when we finish dinner and pick the plates and go to the kitchen to clean up the mess I made. Half an hour later, the kitchen is looking spotless. I head to my room, take a shower and try to catch up and on a book I've been reading. Three hours and 50 pages later, my eyes start to drop. I put a page mark in my book and close it and put it by my bedside and turn off the light.

Man, I really need friends. Speaking of friends. What happened to Ryan? He said he wanted to talk to me but I haven't heard from him since Max scared him off.

I hear scratching behind my bedroom door. I cautiously get off my bed and grab the baseball bat from under my bed and slowly head towards the door. I open it slowly and see no one there. I slowly lower my bat. I hear a wine and look down just in time to see Max run into my room. I close the door and put the bat under my bed again. I see Max take the position of last night in front of the mirror and I sigh and just get into bed. I looked in the mirror and what I see is definitely not a reflection, but the silhouette of a man standing in front of the mirror and looking at me.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Hey guys. What do you think of the chapter? Do you think she should've accepted to work for Mr. Xavier? Vote and comment your thoughts.

XOXO

Rahina.