1.9 Jessica

September 6, 1946: After homeroom

Jessica left homeroom class, feeling happier than usual. The fact that Olivia was next to her talking about her boy problems like usual didn't bother Jessica today. Jessica was lost in her own world, her heart fluttering as her mind flashed back to the conversations she had with Yuta yesterday and today. If the new kid can stand up to her, so can I... Jessica thought to herself, as she glanced over her shoulder. A couple of feet behind her stood the dark-haired boy. His bangs covered his eyes, but when one gets the chance to see them up close, they're mysteriously enchanting.

"I know I'm, like, a dilly and swanky, so why can't he make time for a date with me? Like, the last time we hung out was last week at that, like, super expensive Italian restaurant," Olivia continued, as she and the entire squad walked down the busy hallway. "It's been ages since then! A twitterpated zazz girl like myself needs some well-deserved honey-coolers from her dreamy boyfriend. It's written in the books!"

While Olivia was talking, Jessica was wondering whether she should just leave Olivia's side, and go talk to Yuta. She twiddled her fingers, slightly nervous. How will she react if she realizes I'm not beside her? 

Suddenly, a slight throb came from her right palm. At that moment, she instantly realized that it didn't matter what Olivia thought. A burst of independence flooded through her veins as she stopped in her tracks. Olivia walked ahead, still talking and not noticing that her usual companion was not by her side. Jessica breathed in deeply and turned around, passing the rushing students heading the other way. Jessica approached Yuta and looked up at him, her blue eyes wide and beaming.

"Um," she muttered, realizing how awkward the situation was. The sudden impulse of independence she was feeling quickly disappeared. She realized that the conversation they had the other day was most likely a one-time thing.

There was a boy standing next to Yuta, who looked like the stark opposite of him. Whitish hair, light grey eyes, and he wore a white shirt and dress pants, compared to Yuta's black attire. The two tall boys looked down at her, waiting for her to explain herself. Jessica had never been in a situation like this. What am I doing, talking to two nobodies? Jessica could feel the stares from around the hallway.

"Hi-de-ho," she simply said, gulping with embarrassment.

Yuta gave her a pleasant smile and nod. "Hey," he greeted, politely.

Jessica realized she didn't properly prepare for this moment. What was I thinking? There's a reason why Olivia's squad is so hard to leave; it's cozy!

Jessica gulped as her heart raced. "W-Would you like to have lunch with me?" Jessica asked, reaching the words from the top of her head. She clasped her hands together, to hide the sweat that was forming.

Before Yuta could answer, the boy next to him interjected. "I don't trust Olivia's squad. Are you sure this isn't just a prank to embarrass the grotty new kid in front of the entire school?" the white-haired boy asked, his voice stern and serious.

Jessica had never felt so vulnerable before, but it's not like she was extremely confident, to begin with. Perhaps it's because Olivia isn't by my side. As much as she wished that wasn't true, Jessica realized that her mean girl personality always shines when she's with Olivia. Jessica had to suddenly admit to herself that with Olivia, she was confident enough to hate her, but without her, she was lost.

"N-No," Jessica answered sheepishly.

She simply wanted to get to know the mysterious new kid better. How was he able to talk back at Olivia like that? Could he help her break ties with Olivia? And why did talking to him make her feel so... happy? For the first time, Jessica felt like herself around Yuta. He didn't know anything about her, so she could be anything she wanted without any judgement or prior knowledge of who she was.