Birthday In Jail

For whatever I was going through this school year, I wanted to do something remarkable. I wanted to make a point for my family, friends, colleagues, and the rest of the world.

The Philippines elected Rodrigo Roa Duterte as president. It was during a dark time of my life. I hated so much of the world. I hated some people. I was angry. I was furious. I wanted to destroy so many things so that people would learn to be thankful again for the basic things and the basic rights they enjoyed rather than always asking for more from the Government.

The supporters of the President became my friends while others rejected me. I felt like floating around this time. I also voted for Duterte. I was hurt by some of the supporters and staff of other candidates for president. It was only Duterte's team that treated me well.

But I knew that my president had so many imperfections that I do not have the guts and conscience to defend him for. Somewhere in that dark time of my life, I wanted to show some light.

I decided it would be on my birthday.

While there was a popular clamor for the support of extrajudicial killings of criminals, I was careful not to be among its consistent defenders.

This country has to heal.

This was why I talked to my police friend and asked to help me arrange a "birthday party" inside the city jail.

I bought burgers and packed juice. Those were distributed to the men and women jailed in our city. I wrote about it and used that as a starting point to discuss why we still need to care for people, even those we presume to be bad. I did not say they have to be freed from jail. I am all in favor for retributive justice. But our country has issues. Our country has wounds.

Celebrating my birthday in jail and praying for those detained there was my attempt to make small patches and apply healing balm on the wounds our society has.