18 - Rain, rain, go away

Começar do início

I wanted to run back to you. I knew I've hurt you but I was still praying that you were waiting for me despite that. And I wished I could do it soon before you completely forgot me.

"Rain, rain, you're not going away
So must I also stay?
In this unknown, I feel cold
Yet warmth surrounds me in this threshold"

I was heartbroken because there was nothing I could do. My hands were tied so I had to let go of you.

Buzzing silence followed afterwards. Chaeyoung avoided my gaze and looked back outside in the middle of me reciting the poem to her, for her. I could see her eyes brimming with tears while her teeth were pressing hard on her lower lip.

I wanted to talk to her but my mouth felt dry. I wanted to know why she suddenly looked so glum and looked like she'd be crying any minute now. Then a tear escaped her eye. She readily wiped it off and I was quick to grab her hand.

"Hey! What's wrong?" I asked.

"Your poem. It's so beautiful and sad that it makes me want to cry." She answered while sniffing her unshed tears.

"You're such a cry baby." I said with a chuckle as I put her hand in between mine.

Her hand felt warm to touch, making me realize that this was actually happening. I was no longer dreaming. Here I was, holding Chaeyoung's hand after so long.

A broad smiled painted my lips as I tenderly looked at her. And she smiled back in her prettiest eye-catching smile, her kind of smile that got me smitten with her from the start.

Not long after, she cleared her throat and slowly slid her hand away from me.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I apologized right away, not wanting to offend her.

She only hummed in response before pulling her hands off the table and putting them on her lap.

"It seemed like you haven't changed much." She commented without facing me. "You still have a way with words."

I smirked, "You think so?"

Is that why you're refusing to talk to me?

"Chaeyoung." I called, catching her attention. "Please talk to me." I begged.

She chuckled nervously and leaned back on her seat with her arms crossed over her chest.

"What do you mean? Aren't we talking now?"

"Rose." I murmured and took a deep breath as I dared to call her that way. "You know what I mean."

She snapped her head up, her piercing gaze boring a hole on my face.

"There's no need for that. That ship has sailed a couple of years ago." She spat aloofly before getting up her seat and leaving me behind.

I knew that it was a long shot but what more could I lose? I already lost everything the moment I turned my back on her.

So even when she still acted cold towards me and refused my every attempt to talk about the past, I learned to appreciate the times when she was being friendly. Just like now.

If Chaeyoung was feeling chipper today, I better make sure that she would feel this way for the rest of the day.

... ... ... ... ...

It was almost lunchtime when I heard Chaeyoung shrieked. I quickly ran to her cubicle only to find her sitting still on her chair with her widened eyes directed to the black screen on her laptop.