Chapter 25

Morning arrived and I woke up to an empty room. The memories from last night almost felt like a dream, until I noticed the marks on my neck.

Surprisingly, I took a bath and got ready in a very good mood. It felt like I was walking on air.

I didn't quite understand what I was excited about. I just knew that it had something to do with that one utterly handsome man...

I was happy and at ease after seeing him last night. I had been very worried about his health but thankfully he had recovered pretty well.

Shaking away the thought, I looked in the mirror at my reflection. The spark in my eyes made me chuckle at myself before shaking my head at my silliness.

My eyes wandered down to my neck. I had covered the marks with a bit of makeup, but to be on the safe side I had put on my high neck top, which covered my neck and any trace he had left behind.

I put down my long hair, the lengths falling down my back. I stared at the few make up products placed on my dressing table. I picked up the mascara and started applying a few coats to my lashes. Once I was satisfied with how it looked, I used my favorite lip gloss to apply to my lips.

I looked at myself one last time in the mirror before taking my phone and putting it in the back pocket of my jeans. I tidied my room and finally left it to go downstairs.

It was around 9 in the morning and I assumed my father had left for work and my little brother Sammy for school. My mother was probably waiting for me to have breakfast together. Like we always had. It was our routine during the days I didn't go to work at the salon.

As for the salon....

"Good morning." My mother interrupted the thought that almost caused me to panic. "Did you sleep well?" She asked, giving me a smile as I approached her in the kitchen.

My face started heating up and I tried to hide it by hastily walking to the fridge to look for something to drink. "Good morning mom, yes I did." I pulled out a bottle of juice and then proceeded to close the door to the fridge.

"Good. Ruba was here earlier. Since it's such beautiful weather she suggested we eat breakfast together. She has prepared a table in their front yard. Everyone will be there." She said, answering my silent question about why she was preparing so much breakfast for.

"Sounds fun." I said, opening the cupboard to look for a cup.

"You don't sound happy." She said, her words making me look at her as I placed the cup I had picked out, on the counter.

"What do you mean?" I asked, turning my attention back to the cup in front of me as I poured some juice for me. I took a sip and turned to her, her expression making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"I mean what I said, nowadays it feels like you enjoy the company of a stranger more than your own family's." Her words surprised me, even though I had heard worse from her the past few days.

"What makes you think that? I'm going through a stressful period in my life so I'm sorry if I don't dance in joy every time you see me." I said, earning me a look.

I had felt very alone lately. I didn't understand what was going on in my mother's mind. She was so distant. I needed her most these days, but she was just pushing me away with her words. The irritation had slowly started to rise in me, even thought I had tried to keep calm.

"What's with the attitude? You're really talking to me that way now?" She asked, her brown eyes sending me a warning and her eyebrows raising. "It just proves my point, you're not happy here."