Chapter 15

As I made my way downstairs, I heard my mother's raised voice, talking to my father. I knew something was wrong just by hearing her worried voice.

Deciding to see what the matter was, I changed destination towards the living room, but my steps halted when I heard my mother speak.

"How can you say that? Why is he here? I need an answer now Ameer, I need to know why he returned." Her voice was filled with stress and I understood who's arrival they were talking about.

"I told you I don't know. He will live across from us and that's final. Do not ask such questions, I've talked to you about this many times. Just remember, no one should know about it. No one." My father replied firmly.

"You are hiding so many things from me, I don't understand. Why can't you just share it with me. You've always told me everything....but now.." My heart dropped at the sadness in my mother's voice. They were going through so much because of me...

Taking it as a cue, I smiled widely and stepped in. "Good morning." I greeted but paused when I pretended to inspect them. "Why do you guys look like teenagers who've just had a fight?" I asked in amusement.

"We haven't.." My mother quickly cleared.

"Yeah yeah, I believe you." Rolling my eyes, I took a seat across from them.

"You're so calm, you don't even know who's moved to the house across from us." She spoke in disbelief, looking at the house through the big window in our living room.

"I know. Walid has moved in. And?" I asked casually and sighed at my mother's shocked expression.

"Y-you know? How can you laugh about it? I don't understand you two! How can both of you take this situation so lightly?" She stood up, anger clear on her face.

My mother's anger was very rare, but when it did come, it was dangerous.

"Mom, you're being hysterical. He has moved across from us, so what? It's not like he has moved in with us. I'm completely fine with it. You should be too." I confirmed, trying to make myself sound believable.

"I'm not hysterical . I don't want him close to you, I don't want it." She mused the last part to herself dramatically before storming out of the living room.

My father rushed after her, trying to convince her not to be mad at him.

I watched them disappear from my sight before the amusement dropped from my face and a heavy sigh left my lips.

I had to pretend to be calm and cool with the situation. I had to do it for my parent's sanity. At least, my mother's. If she saw me accepting the fact that Walid would be our temporary neighbor, she would be fine with it too...sooner or later.

I had to show my parents I was okay with all that had happened to me. When in reality, only I knew about the storm leashing inside me with every passing day.

~

Closing the door behind me, I tried not to look at the neighbor houses as I hastily made my way past them. Especially that one specific house...

Thankfully, my mother calmed down once my father talked to her. She was even relieved to know Walid's presence didn't 'affect' me in any way.

Our morning went back to normal after that and I decided to leave for work. It was quite a while ago I worked at the beauty salon since uni holidays just recently started, which meant I was free from studies and could occupy myself with work.