16 Family

E L I

I put the truck in park and looked in my rearview mirror. Ashlyn drove up behind me. Justin's car was here already and he had picked up Hazel from day camp. I was crazy for thinking about this. I wasn't sure it was wise to introduce them to each other yet, but hearing Justin call her a fling cut me deep. I hadn't expected it to, but it had, and I wanted him to meet her.

I opened my door and hurried back to Ashlyn, pulling hers open before she could. "So this is it."

She looked up at our old whitewashed Victorian without making a comment. Her eyes slid to me and she smiled. "It's cute. I really like the flower garden."

Our peonies were coming in, thanks to Justin's green thumb. It was something he did to keep our mom alive. The pinks and reds complimented our house, making the porch look homey.

I took Ashlyn's hand. "Come on, I told Hazel and Justin I was bringing home a surprise. There's a good chance they think you're Chinese food." I winked at her. I needed to ease the tension somehow.

I led her through the backdoor and into the kitchen. I could hear the TV playing from the living room. I could also hear Hazel and Justin shouting the wrong answers at the TV for Jeopardy.

"Hey guys!" I called, kicking off my shoes at the door. Ashlyn followed suit. "Come in here! I have someone for you to meet!"

The TV switched off and Hazel came barreling through the room and into my arms. She hit me with the force of a mini wrecking ball. Justin sauntered in slowly behind her, hands shoved into his pocket. Both looked at Ashlyn with dubious expressions.

"Hazel, Justin, this is Ashlyn Emerson. My new girlfriend."

I cut my eyes to Ashlyn. We hadn't bothered with a label before, but I figured now was the time. Ashlyn's cheeks colored and she shared a private smile with me.

"Hi." Ashlyn held out her hand for Hazel, who took it enthusiastically.

"So you're the reason I need a babysitter so often these days," Hazel said.

"I'm afraid so." Ashlyn laughed.

"I don't like having babysitters." Hazel narrowed her eyes. She was going to try to extort something out of Ashlyn next.

Behind her, Justin rolled his eyes. I covered my mouth, pretending to yawn as I tried to hide my smile.

"How can I make it up to you?"

"Ice cream."

"I can make that happen." Ashlyn winked at Hazel. "I can even make ice cream from scratch."

"Well, I guess we can be friends then," Hazel said.

I took Hazel by the shoulders and pulled her back from Ashlyn. "Alright, you little grifter. How about I order pizza for dinner?"

"Oh, yeah!" Hazel clapped her hands together.

Justin kept his distance from Ashlyn, hands still stuffed into his pockets. He narrowed his eyes at Ashlyn. When he thought I was just having a fling, he was fine. Now that the label "girlfriend" had been thrown into the mix, I could see the anger coming off him in waves.

"Hi Justin," Ashlyn said. Her smile never faltering in light of his scowl. "It's nice to finally meet you. Both of you." She winked at Hazel.

"I'm going to go out," Justin said, looking at me and ignoring Ashlyn.

"I thought we could have a family dinner," I said.

Hazel squirmed out from my grip and took Ashlyn by the hand. She dragged her from the kitchen chattering excitedly about some cartoon she was into these days.