07 Candy

E L I

Hazel dragged me along. I had the day off from the deli and Hazel insisted we go to the zoo and then to the candy store near the deli. Hazel ran up and down, deciding which gummy bear she had to have. I filled my own bag of sour gummy worms and sharks. I decided before we entered that Hazel could get whatever she wanted and for once I wouldn't complain about the cost. My date with Ashlyn the night before put me in a great mood. Hazel should benefit from it.

"This one!" Hazel pointed at the large gummy bear on display. It said it was two pounds and stood about eight inches high. Of course that's what she would want.

I tried to keep my face from showing my disgust at the thought of buying it. She would give herself a stomachache after eating too much of it and the rest would be thrown out. "If that's what you want," I said. My jaw felt clenched shut as I said the words.

Hazel sighed and moved away from the giant bear. "No, I think I'd rather have two pounds of multiple types." She looked disheartened, wistfully eyeing the giant bear as she walked away.

She'd never eat the whole thing before it went stale and hard. We both knew it. But I could see in her round, little face this was her dream candy today.

"How about we get that and you can have your friends over for a movie night and we split it among you guys?" I spoiled the crap out of her sometimes.

All of Hazel's friends' parents were bound to hate me when they found out about all the sugar I gave their kids, but whatever. Hazel's face glowed when I proposed this solution.

"Can I get some extra gummies just for me?" She batted her eyelids at me. She tried and succeeded in winning me over with her cuteness. I was a sucker for it.

"Just a few. And get some chocolates for Justin."

I continued filling my own bag of sour gummies while Hazel, not even high on sugar yet, scurried around making her very important decisions. I didn't rush her. I just watched from near the counter. The corners of my mouth tugged into a smile until I saw the next customer walk through the door.

Holly. My ex. I did my best to avoid her. She never came into the deli, thankfully, even though I knew her parents loved our classic turkey sandwich. She caught sight of me and pasted a smile on her face. I couldn't just leave without Hazel and she obviously had business of her own here.

"Eli," she said, striding toward me.

She was all legs, something I had at one point found really attractive in her. Now nothing about her was attractive to me. Her auburn hair was tied back in a loose ponytail and her gray eyes were as wide and observant as ever.

"Holly," I said.

"What brings you in today? I don't think I've ever seen you in here."

"Hazel wanted some candy and who am I to refuse her? What are you doing here?"

Holly pulled a nametag out of her purse. It had the lollipops of the store's logo on it.

"I've been picking up a few hours a week. You know, make a little extra money." She shrugged.

I guessed I should be grateful. She worked so close to the deli and I had not seen her once. Seeing her now was too much. I couldn't imagine having to see her every day. I wondered if she intentionally kept her distance. I hoped so.

"Holly!" Hazel ran up to Holly, hugging her around the waist, still clutching her bags of candy.

"Hey Hazel!" Holly returned the hug.

I never told Hazel why I broke up with Holly. As far as she was concerned, Holly and I just didn't have anything in common anymore, but we were still friends. Hazel loved Holly and I didn't want to ruin the image she had of my ex. I figured she was too young for the horrible realities of dating. Hazel didn't need to know Holly cheated on me after our mother died. I hadn't known for over a year myself, but once the truth came to light, I cut her loose.