17 Coincidence

A S H L Y N

Hazel was too cute for words. She brushed her teeth and hair and crawled into bed with a stuffed starfish. She flicked on her bedside lamp and instructed me to turn the overhead light off. I couldn't help but laugh. She clearly had everyone wrapped around her little finger.

"At dinner you said you studied stars. Can you tell me a story about them?"

I took a seat on the corner of her bed, tickling her feet through the sheets. "What kind of story? A myth about the constellations? Or beliefs the ancients used to have."

"Tell me your favorite stories!"

I had so many. I thought about telling her about Galileo and his observations of Saturn's rings, but decided it was too dry for a nine-year-old. Instead I told her about Orion and Artemis and how Zeus consented to making the hunter a constellation. Hazel fell asleep as I told her the story. Quietly I tucked her in and flicked off the light. It was almost eleven-thirty when I went back down and I found Eli asleep on the couch, TV on, arm thrown over his face. I supposed I had been keeping him up late the last few weeks with our stargazing.

I watched the gentle rise and fall of his chest. He looked adorable with his feet hanging over the armrest and his t-shirt rumpled. I wanted to crawl on top of him and have him hold me close, but I decided against it. He needed sleep as much as Hazel did. I hovered a few moments, enjoying the sight of him, even in sleep he was handsome. I frowned, what would happen in a few months when I went home? I watched Sadie and Noah try to navigate long-distance and it just strained them. I had seen other college friends try the same and it never seemed to work out. I couldn't stay in Texas forever. I had a life in Wilmington.

Unexpected tears sprang to my eyes. I wiped them away and tiptoed into the kitchen. I needed some distance from the situation. As quiet as a mouse I grabbed my purse and keys from the hook by the door and slipped my sandals on. I turned off the lights in the kitchen and carefully snuck out. As I was getting into my car, a Jeep pulled up beside me. Justin practically fell out of the passenger's seat. He reeked of cheap beer and fries.

"You," he slurred, looking at me as best he could with unfocused eyes. "You're going to break his heart." He growled at me.

The driver of the Jeep came around the car, trying to lead Justin away.

"Hey sorry, partied a little too hard and too fast tonight." Justin's friend said.

"She's gonna be just like Holly," Justin said, swaying where he stood.

"Justin, I-" I started, but Justin was quick to cut me off.

"Shut up!" He snapped. He swatted away invisible hands and glared at me. "You'll leave and he'll still be here. Broken. You dumb cow, get out of here, and don't bother my brother again."

I stepped back, right into my car. "You need to get some water and rest, Justin," I said. I had a flash of my ex in a similar state after a bender. I worried for Eli, hoping his drunken brother wouldn't wake him.

"Come on, man, let the nice lady go home," his friend said, tugging on Justin's arm. "Sorry about him. He's been in a mood all night."

"No, it's ok," I said. "Can you get him inside and get some water into him?" Justin's friend led him toward the house. I thought about following them. This would wake Eli up for sure, but I didn't want to cause any trouble. Justin was sure to lash out if I went back in and that would be no good for anyone. I climbed into my car and headed home. When I arrived I texted Eli an apology for leaving without a proper good-bye. I didn't receive an answer by the time I went to sleep at two.

~*~*~

I got a text from Eli while I slept. I was happy and then immediately dismayed to read it. Did my brother drunkenly harass and scare you off?