Chapter 29: Roses and Crowns

We walked in the door arm in arm and every head turned. I felt a little shy. I spotted Dionne and I couldn't quite decipher the look on her face. There was shock, annoyance,disgust and hatred. I was glad I made that decision. I just smirked,I couldn't care less

"Hey, where did you take my bestfriend to?"Jenny scolded mockingly

"We just went outside to get some air,I lied before Ryan could say anything

"Yeah",he seconded.

"Okay...... Ally,have you been crying?" She was studying my face.

"Huh? No, something fell in my eye when we were outside." I hope she buys it because everyone knows that's a terrible excuse.

"Okay...." Hallelujah!

"Yeah. Why? Did anything happen?"

"No, nothing."

Whitney Houston's "I wanna dance with somebody" started playing.

"Ally,let's go dance." She tugged on my arm and started pulling me towards the dancefloor. I gave Ryan an apologetic look and he mouthed,"don't worry"

A couple of fast songs came on and everyone was grooving to them despite the gowns and the heels.

"Excuse me everyone. May I have your attention please."

Everyone turned towards the podium to look at Lionel looking good in his suit and tie.

"Sorry for disturbing you but I really need to do this."

What he did next surprised everyone

"Wise men say only fools rush in,but I can't help falling in love with you",
he started singing

"Shall I stay,will it be a sin if I can't help falling in love with you? "

His voice broke towards the ending. The cafeteria erupted in screams and applauds.

When the noise died down,he continued.

"This evening,I stand here because of one special person . You were always there when I needed someone to turn to. You inspire me a lot and I feel so happy around you. I know you are the one I need and I want you in my life"

He paused maybe for dramatic effect,I don't know. The entire place was silent. At this point,I'm sure everyone was wondering who the lucky girl was.

I was not really that surprised when the spotlight shone on Tracy. I was kind of tipping her because I've seen them at school together most of the time.

He got off the podium and walked to her. He took out a rose from a pocket and kneeling on one knee, he held the rose out. This was the sweetest thing I've ever seen

"Tracy Norman,will you be my girlfriend?" She covered her mouth with both hands and most girls awwed.

"Yes!"She took the flower and helped him up. They hugged and we all clapped. Ed Sheeran's "Perfect" came on and with the mood set by Lionel and Tracy, everyone got on the dancefloor with their partners.

*****

At almost 11:30 everyone was bored. Wasn't it time to announce prom king and queen yet?

As if he read my mind,the SRC president climbed up the podium.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen.
When he had gotten the attention he wanted,he continued. The moment you all have been waiting for is here. You're probably wondering who prom king and queen are?"

Well duhh

He opened the envelope slowly and read out. "Ryan Woods and Allison Astley!! Congratulations!"

"Called it!" Jenny screamed. "Well, get your ass up there" she nudged me in the side

I can't believe I'm actually prom queen,wow. I lifted the end of my gown with one hand and put the other in Ryan's. There were cheers as we made our way up the stage.

The SRC president placed Ryan's crown on his head. After,Ryan placed mine on my head and the president gave me my bouquet.

"Students of Westminster High, your prom king and queen". Most people clapped, some screamed and some whistled. I must admit,it felt good to be the center of attention.

*****

Forty five minutes after midnight,I started to feel sleepy and I'm sure Ryan noticed it when I yawned.

"I'll drop you home",he offered. He was supposed to take me home as I was his date so it wasn't really an offer.

"Sure". I congratulated Lionel and Tracy once again and said goodbye to Jennifer and Spencer.

By the time I was settled in Ryan's front seat,I was almost gone. I started to feel cold and Ryan, being the gentleman he is used his coat to cover me.

"Don't worry babe,I'll get you home soon and safe and sound". He gave me a peck

I mumbled something which I think was incoherent before I fell asleep,I don't quite remember.

*****

So....what did you think of this chapter?🤗

Please and please, don't forget to vote

Thanks for reading 😊

- Jessi