Chapter 11: Blue's a Good Theme Colour For a Winter Dance

"Ally, wake up!! You're going to be late."I reluctantly opened my eyes.

"What time is it?",I ask myself still feeling sleepy. "Oh my God,I'm gonna be late!"

Apparently, I forgot to set my alarm clock so I slept in. I rushed to the bathroom to freshen up. It's a good thing I get my stuff for school ready the previous night. I was almost late by the time Mom dropped me at school. I had chemistry this morning,and that too practicals. I didn't want to be late as Ryan would have to start alone. I made it to class two minutes after the bell but fortunately,Mr Parker wasn't in class yet. I put on my lab coat and joined Ryan. As I expected,he had already gotten the materials needed ready.

"Hey Ryan"

"Oh hi Ally"

"Sorry,I'm late"

"Don't worry about it. We haven't even started yet"

"Oh okay"

Mr Parker came in shortly after that,"Good morning,class. I am sorry for being late. I had some business to attend to."

"Good morning,Mr Parker",some students responded.

"Ok, since enough time has been wasted already, let's get on with our practicals,shall we"

Ryan and I were working on litmus paper today. Even though,I had done this numerous times before,I have to admit, it was nice watching blue litmus paper turn red or remain blue when dipped in acid and base respectively.

Towards the end of the lesson,Mr Parker made an announcement, "You have been working on your project since the beginning of the school year and it will come to an end on Friday. Each pair is supposed to write a report on all the experiments you've carried out since September and give a presentation on it.After your presentation,I grade you. Is that clear?"

"It's clear",we responded

Chemistry period ended and next was history, boring history. Nonetheless,lunch arrived pretty soon.

***

While Jenny and I were having lunch at our table, Ryan came around.

"Hey Ally"

"Hi there Ryan"

"I was wondering if we could meet sometime, maybe at the library so we can work on our report and the presentation."

"Um,sure."

"So when will be a good time?"

"Um..... Thursday. I don't think I have plans on Thursday. Is it okay?"

"Yeah. Thursday's cool."

"Okay"

"Yeah, see you around"

"Sure"

I turn to Jenny. She wiggled her eyebrows at me. "What?"

"Look who just got asked on a date now?"

"Oh come on. It's not a date"

"Mine wasn't either."

"Fine. So what's up with you?"

"I'm good Al. Well,we haven't spoken much today since Mr Duncan changed  our seats."

"Yeah. History is gonna be really boring from now on."

"I know right",she laughed. "Hey Ally, have you heard?"

"Heard what?", I bit into my chicken thigh

"About the winter dance. We have one every year."

"Oh really,and is it gonna be like any other school dance? You know,semi formal, dates and all that."

"Well, yeah."

"Okay,so when is it?"

"Next week Saturday"

"Oh okay. So who are you going with?"

"I don't have a date yet"

"Okay,who do you wanna go with?" I turned to see who she was looking at.
"Oh I see. Miss here likes Spencer.

"No I don't"

"Oh please. You think I haven't been watching you guys when you're working on your experiments."

"You can think what you want"

"Oh yes,I will"

The bell rang signalling the end of lunch time.

"Ok Ally,let's get to class."

I dumped my trash in the bin and walked with Jennifer to life skills class.

*********
Thanks for reading. Please vote

- Jessi