CHAPTER 30

"Three million and a half!" 

"Four million!" 

"Do I hear Four million and half!?" 

The host shouted, scanning the crowd for bidders. The numbers skyrocketed, more and more people joining the bid. Catherine could only watch helplessly as hands holding a sign with number raised one after another.

"Six million! Is someone bidding more, Yes! Number 559 bids seven million!" If she wasn't being sold off like some antique garbage, Catherine would actually be impressed by how fast the host spoke. 

"Is there someone bidding more than seven million?!" The man paused, searching the crowd. No numbers raised. "Seven million once! Seven million twice! Seven million-" 

Another man suddenly rushed up on the stage with a phone in hand. He handed the device to the host before he could say the final bid. The host paused, taking the phone. 

His menacing grin grew. 

"We have the highest bid. Ten million!" He announced after handing the phone back to his assistant.

Catherine's head spun with the violently growing numbers. Her fear escalated when the man turned back to microphone. "Ten million once! Ten million twice! Ten million thrice! Sold!" 

"I object! You can't do that!" She yelled, but no one payed any heed to her protest. Two more men walked up on the stage, heading towards her cage. Her grip on the bars tightened as the door opened. 

 "Let go!" She screamed as the two strangers grabbed her by her arms, dragging her out from the cage. Catherine dug her heels into the stage floor, fighting against them the best she could. The drug was still coursing through her blood. Every time she tried to pull away, her head begun to swim. 

She had given the two a hard time removing her from the stage, but that served as little comfort when she was dragged behind the scenes and further down a hallway.

"Someone help!" Her cry had no response other then a rough tug from one of the men. He huffed out a curt 'shut up' and carried on with his job.She was lead up a flight of stairs into another hallway. Her yelling was ignored as the two pushed her inside a room. 

It was a luxurious lounge with black leather couches and ruby red walls. The type of setting one could find in fancy sports bars. A crystal chandelier hanged from the ceiling, casting it's light over the otherwise poorly lit room. A man sat like a king in a leather armchair, his legs crossed and arms settled on the padded armrests. 

Catherine raised her eyes from the lush carpet covering the tiled floor, resting her gaze on familiar icy blues. Her stomach dropped. In the make-shift throne sat the very same man she had recently escaped from.

"Would it kill you to listen to me for once, spitfire?" Layton spoke, threateningly calmly. His voice could freeze hell over. 

Her eyes narrowed, "It would, actually! I know what you planned on doing! Either way I would've ended up on that stage!" She fought not to totter on her unsteady matchstick legs. Her body begged for her to put her butt on one of the chairs, but her stubborn brain much rather have her faint than approach the dangerous man. 

"And where did you get that information from?" 

"I heard your siblings talk. They made it pretty clear that you will suck out my soul." Her fists clenched. She wanted to take her heels in hand and run for her dear life instead of having this conversation with him. But she had no clue where she was and how far she would get with the masked creeps hanging around on every corner.