CHAPTER 10

"What did I do wrong!? What did I do to deserve this!?" A voice echoed through the endless darkness. It sounded far away, but it was far too familiar to be disregarded or remain unheard.

"You did the right thing, for the wrong man. You should've been smarter than this, girl. Now you owe him, and he'll hunt you down no matter where you go." Another voice responded, a much deeper one, sending chills down her spine.

"I'll run-"

"You cannot escape."

"But I will!"

"You're being naive. There's no getting away from fire in a burning house. Either you let it burn you or you become fire yourself."

Ring! Ring!

"Uhm..." A groggy groan rumbled through her chest, followed by a dissatisfied mumble when annoying blaring of her phone echoed through her single room apartment. As far as she knew it was Sunday. Who would disturb a sleeping person on a Sunday? Or perhaps it was Monday. Either way she couldn't care less. Her head felt like it weighed a ton and her body ached in odd places. Whatever she was doing the night before, she was quite sure it must've somehow ended with at least ten shots.

A hand reached from underneath covers, first slamming against the corner of her nightstand and then finally catching a hold of her very irritating phone. The hand disappeared back under the blanket, a bird nest of brown hair appearing in its place.

"What...." Damn, she sounded like a cat with its tail stuck in a doorway. Her voice could barely be recognizable as human's.

"Don't tell me you're still asleep, Miss Cavenon." Layton's irritated voice boomed from the other end.

"Who the-Oh...."

Right. I'm supposed to be a personal assistant now.

"Don't give me that. The flight leaves in ten, you better get your ass into a car. If you're late, the consequences are on you."

"Wait, what car!?"

Beep, beep,beep.

That asshole hung up on me!

The blanket flew off of her in a swift movement as she hurriedly got up from the warm comfort of her bed. A part of her was really tempted to ignore Layton and sleep some more, but then again, she didn't exactly wish to be woken up by police knocking at her door.

Grumbling under her breath, she scurried around her apartment, picking up whatever clothes she could find. The drowsiness got folks dead, fast, as she once again set off from her apartment in hurry.

The old rusty door of the apartment building nearly flew out of hinges as she made a move to make a mad dash down the street. That was until she was stopped by a well dressed man in his late thirties. He stood near a black Mercedes, waiting for what seemed to be her judging by the look on his face.

"Are you Miss Cavenon?" His voice remained calm as he gave her a once over. He had this judgmental air about him that she already found herself disliking. He reminded her of one of her teachers back at high school. Even man's face was similar to the one stuck forever in her memories.

"Depends on who asks."

"Mr. Grim is expecting you. Please get into the car." The driver explained calmly, already making a move to get into the driver's seat.

"Where exactly are we going?" Catherine had to stop herself from commenting on how the driver was almost as conceited as the CEO of the company itself.