CHAPTER 20

Silence hung heavy in the air. Pride had won the inner debate. She had made her grand speech and no curious question could force her lips to part. Her eyes found just about everything to be interesting as long as it wasn't the man she had to make the awkward flight back to Seattle with. 

From time to time she felt his gaze land on her, burning her skin. At times she even caught glimpse of his lips parting as if he was about to say something, but no words ever came out. Both too stubborn to make the first step. 

The flight attendants were careful around the two, offering drinks and snacks only from safe distance. The two poor ladies got their fare share of glares from both parties. Catherine could hardly blame them for being wary. Anyone with common sense could feel the bubble of anger building around them. 

The car ride was equally awkward, only this time Layton didn't have a computer and his eyes were constantly on her. 

"You can just dumb me on the next corner." Catherine finally spoke, hoping the driver would catch her words before Layton did. Another minute under his scrutinizing gaze and she would jump out of the car with little care of it stopping. 

"That won't be necessary. You're going to live with me from now on." 

"Huh?" There was a moment where Catherine's face washed blank with confusion, like her brain cogs couldn't turn fast enough to take in the information. "I ain't going to live with you-" 

"You know too much. It's too dangerous for you to return to that rotten place." Layton explained calmly, silently savoring the moment before she went livid. "I already arranged your tings to be moved to my apartment." 

Catherine was at lost for words. She had just processed everything she found out yesterday and now, her life had taken another turn! That man had no human side. He was a devil...a sin. Her life had performed a massive flip. There was nothing left from what she knew, all thanks to the handsome raven haired man sitting by her side. 

Arguing was pointless. Inwardly she was screaming and yelling on top of her lungs, but all that came out was a long, tired sigh. She was exhausted from lack of sleep and overwhelming events. All night she spend pacing the room, thinking, fuming and panicking and now it was catching up. Her eyes were still puffy from crying. She felt helpless. 

"Why am I even surprised..." She murmured, forehead pressing up against the cold window. The chill it offered cleared her head as more familiar streets of Seattle rushed by.Towering homes of concrete created a grey blur that zinged past them. Somehow the view made it easier to disregard Layton's intense gaze. She felt him looking, not a single word exchanged until they finally stopped near an impressive skyscraper in downtown. 

The impressive building was similar to one Layton's office was located in, only this one was made for people to live in, a bit surprising that he needed that considering how much time he spent in the office. 

Catherine trailed after the devilish man, taking in every curve of the apartment complex. It oozed luxury, endless rows of glass and steel shining in the evening sun. 

Before long, she was presented with your cliche rich bachelor apartment. Clean, modern with very few personal belongings. Grey and black dominated the interior, clearly lacking woman's touch. 

"Your room is upstairs."Layton instructed, tossing his suit jacket onto the leather couch. 

"I am not sharing a bedroom with you." Catherine frowned, hesitant to take a step further than the front corridor. 

"I have a guest bedroom. All your belongings should be there." Layton paused, giving her a long look. "Dress in something comfortable." 

"Why?"