CHAPTER 27

Author's note: Mature content ahead! Please do drop a vote or a comment, I really like hearing your thoughts on this book! Thank you for reading and enjoy!

The air was so brittle it could snap. This was her chance to get answers and all she could do was sit there and stare fixedly at the sea deep eyes of the sin.She was awestruck that he had agreed so easily. 

The soft armchair hugged her figure in an almost distracting way. Not that the piece of furniture was to blame. Her buzzing mind found just about anything distracting now. 

"Will you ask the question or you will keep eyeballing me?" His eyebrow cocked in amusement. 

Catherine frowned, barely holding back a snap. She couldn't lose this chance to her temper. Shaking her head, she jerked back from her restless thoughts. "Jeez, give me a minute to formulate it." 

"You're so slow." 

"Shut up." The woman shifted in her seat, nervous. "How do you eat souls?" The question terrified her more than the answer. It sounded sick, insane. The words fell from her lips clumsily, like ones of a child speaking for the first time. 

Layton chuckled, having already predicted the question. "That's really what you want to know?" 

"Just answer." 

"It's called 'kiss of death'. We take the human's last breath." He explained calmly. His stoic face unsettled her. They were talking about killing people like taking a stroll in the park. "People sold in the auction are chosen very carefully. Their souls are marked." 

"How are they marked?"

"Those are two questions." Layton pointed out. His sinewy upper body leaned forwards as he rested his elbows on his knees. "My turn." The position made him look bulkier than he was and for a split second her mind trailed off to places she didn't want it to go. The shirt curled tightly around his bulging biceps. It was enough to distract anyone, honestly. 

"Back then, why did you steal my wallet?" 

Catherine was slightly taken aback. "That's a stupid question. You were being an asshole!" 

That much is obvious, duah...

"That's not what I meant. You had other reasons, didn't you?" His captivating eyes didn't allow her to dodge this easily. 

She swallowed a none existent lump that had formed in her throat. "I was broke as shit. I needed money for rent. I am not some rich kid who's only worry is to buy a new Lamborghini. I'm an orphan, life ain't easy for a street rat." 

Layton looked thoughtful, like he had more to ask. He was actually curious of her. "Your turn." He said after a bit, his gaze tracking her every move.

"Did you grow up in this house?" 

That was random. 

She couldn't help it. Catherine wanted to know more about sins and souls, but she also wanted to know more about him. 

"No. I grew up with my mother." He looked to the side, offering her a brief moment of relief. For once she was not pinned down by the intensity of his gaze. "She was a beautiful and a stingy woman." 

"Was?" 

"She's no longer in my life." 

Catherine bit her lip. She couldn't sympathise, she didn't have parents in the first place, nor had she ever truly lost someone she cared about. But she couldn't bring herself to just sit there like a log. Slowly, she stood up from the comfort of the armchair and approached him.