CHAPTER 2

The shock knocked every wisp of air from her lungs. The color drained from her face and eyes widened in pure terror. Her mind was wiped of any thoughts as she duly followed the movements of stalling car.

It stopped mere inches from her, so close she could particularly feel the vibrations of engine. Her legs shook, knees threatening to buckle. Catherine lied her arms flat on the hood of the car for support. It was the only thing that kept her from collapsing onto the asphalted road. Her whole form begun to shake as her mind processed what fate she had narrowly avoided thanks to dumb luck.

Her stare flickered upwards, meeting eyes so icy they could impale you just by single glance. There was no warmth in them only coldness. For a moment she found herself astonished by the two unblinking orbs.

The man who sat in driver's seat looked like someone out of a movie, but instead of a million dollar smile his lips were pulled in thin line and his square jaw was clenched. Two, perfectly shaped, black eyebrows that matched the color of his well combed hair were arched in a deep frown, creating lines on his forehead. He didn't look older than thirty, but was clearly not her age.

The man shifted in his seat, his hand slipping off the steering wheel onto the handle of door. Catherine followed his every move as he got out from the fancy car. With two wide steps he was already standing short distance away from her, looking at her from above. Literally. He was about six and something feet tall, give or take few inches. With her shorter form she had to tilt her head up to look at his face.

"Luckily for you my car isn't damaged. I could overlook this."

Catherine's jaw dropped open at his arrogant tone of voice. He didn't even bother to look at her for long, being more concerned about his car than a person he almost ran over!

"You son of a-I nearly saw my dead grandmother! But all you care about is some piece of metal!?" She snapped, straightening her form and folding her hands across her chest. Her fiery temper spiked up like wildfire and her mouth move on it's own, spitting out the first knee-jerk response that sprung to mind.

Briefly surprise flashed across his features before it was quickly replaced by a somewhat sly and evil look. "It's your fault for not watching where you go. It wasn't me who crossed the street under the red light." He told her calmly, almost like he was scolding a child.

"What! Well, excuse me! I wasn't the maniac who crossed all the possible speed limits!" Catherine yelled, drawing even more attention to them. A small crowd was beginning to form to watch the two argue whilst still standing in middle of the road.

"Do you expect me to apologize for your stupidity?" His eyes seemed to darken making him appear even more intimidating.

"An apology won't fill my stomach. I want you to pay me for emotional distress you caused." She said confidently, refusing to give up just because of a scary man in a suit thought he was a God.

A deep chuckle rumbled through his chest, not quite making it to his eyes.The man took a step closer, invading her private space. Catherine obdurately fought against the urge to take a step back. Every fiber in her body screamed for her to turn around and run, but she was stuck gazing up at the gorgeous man who was now so close that she could feel the heat from his body and smell his cologne.

"Listen carefully, little girl. Your word against mine means nothing. You should be thanking me for letting you off the hook this easily. Try to gain anything from this and you'll regret it. Take my words for granted." His voice sent uncomfortable shivers down her spine and made the little hair on back of her neck stand. There was something unsettling about the way he threatened her while being calm and collected.