CHAPTER 15

~Layton. 

The sharp blues rested calmly on all too familiar laptop screen, skimming over a report to witch finding a meaning would be like discovering protein in lettuce. A long sigh slipped past the man's lips, his hand raising to pinch between his eyes. He had hired best of the best and a couple pointless sentences was all they could give him. 

Dark circles sat underneath his eyes, signs of exhaustion unmistakable. It had been a long night of him sleeping on a couch. And the sleeping part was in fact him attempting to do some more office work. Boring enough to exhaust, yet demanding for certain concentration. 

He couldn't get the previous day's events out from his head. It was nothing out of ordinary for him to easily go from zero to hundred, but even for Layton, his reaction had been too harsh. Messing with his new assistant had become one of his ways of entertainment in otherwise boring-to-tears existence. She was easy to tease and reacted rather badly to his every comment. The woman was childish which made it all that more unbelievable that he had become so possessive of her. 

Idly, his eyes raised to look at the usually bubbly woman sitting across from him in the car. It was hard to shut her up, but now she hadn't said a single word or even looked at him. Her eyes were distant, gazing at the passing buildings. She wasn't even his type. And yet he found her oddly intriguing. Even he couldn't deny her looks. 

Layton's eyes did a quick scan. The lady suit he had picked for her accented her body rather well. He almost let a grin slip onto his features when his stare landed on her feet. The high heels were kicked aside. She really hated wearing those. 

"What are you staring at?" Her voice came to life, Layton's gaze switching upwards to meeting with an all too familiar glare. The look was far different from the one she had given to him last night. No woman had ever looked so terrified when approached by him. They melted under his touch, but she had resisted like her life depended on it. 

"Making sure you haven't lost your shoes. They are-" 

"Expensive." Catherine finished his sentence, rolling her eyes. "I learned from the first time." She grumbled, turning back to the window. 

"Don't get me wrong. I have no interest in someone like you." Layton switched back to his laptop, frown now plastered on his face. 

"Is that why you harassed me last night?" 

"You have to know not to get involved with people you shouldn't even talk to. My siblings specially." Layton's voice was of ice, long fingers already working their way across the keyboard. 

"'I am Mr. Arrogant's brother' wasn't written on his forehead when I met him." Catherine growled back, earning herself a quick glare. 

"Nothing like that would've happened if you obeyed and stayed at the suite. Didn't your parents teach you not to go with strangers?" 

"I have no parents." 

Pause. 

Layton's eyes momentary shifted back to the young spitfire. Both of them fell silent again, Catherine doing her best to look anywhere but at the man sitting across from her. 

"I'm just telling you to be careful." His voice had a low rumble to it, his nature doing little to break the ice between them. 

"Are you worried?" He couldn't read Catherine's voice, but he was certain she was to taunt him about this in couple of seconds. Something he couldn't allow. 

"I can't let you ruin my image." There was a dismissive shrug of his shoulders, eyes fixed back on the screen. Layton did not react any to Catherine's scoff as the car was brought to a halt in front of the all too familiar hotel. 

The morning had been busy with meetings and now he had to attend one he was looking forwards to the least. 

"Go to the suite. There's a dress prepared for you for the evening gala." 

"You're buying me dresses now?" 

"You'll be my escort. I can't allow you to look bad. Don't think you're special." 

The limo door opened, hotel staff meeting them with a polite greeting. Catherine shook her head, looking fed up with everything as she got out of the car with shoes in one hand. She stormed ahead, grumbling underneath her breath as Layton watched.

"Mr. Grim," One of the staff approached, just barely having the gut to keep an eye contact. "Mr. Pierce is expecting you." 

"I'm aware." At his clipped response the employee only gave a silent nod, stepping back to give way to the sharply dressed business man. Layton wore black suits like others wore t-shirts. Little effort needed to be put into him pulling out the look of successful billionaire he was. 

Lucas was much more lied-back. More of a type to sport leather jacket rather than business attire. And that was exactly what Layton found his brother wearing upon entering the lounge. 

Phone in hand and feet propped up on coffee table, Lucas Pierce lounged across the very couch which had caused so many events to take place the day before. He didn't even glance up from the expensive device when Layton spoke. 

"Let's make this as short as possible. What did you want?" Obvious irritation could be heard in his voice. He was not the type to be summoned like a loyal dog. His brother requesting a meeting was just another headache. 

"Is that how you greet family? Oh come on, be a little sweeter at once." Lucas grinned, pale eyes sparking with tease that was returned by a sharp glare from the other man. 

"Alright, alright. Just wanted to set everything up for the action. There are some nice souls coming in this year. Quite a few to even suit your taste." 

"Couldn't you text me the details? I don't have to meet you in person for this." The dissatisfaction grew by second, reflecting in his words and voice. 

"Geez, you're cold. Poor Catherine. I can only imagine ow it is to work for you." Lucas set down his phone, smile still sticking to his lips, tempting Layton to wipe it right off. 

"It's none of your business how I treat my employees. I suggest you stay away from her." 

"Jealous much? Don't worry, I have enough toys of my own. I was just curious." Lucas took a glass of what Layton assumed was whiskey and took a sip. "She's a cute girl. Not really your type though." 

"What do you think you know about who's my type." Layton growled, feeling his anger boiling up. 

"So you do like her." 

"This conversation is over. Mail me the details about the action, and don't bother me to satisfy your damn curiosity." He turned towards the door, only to be stopped in tracks by Lucas's next words. 

"You should be careful. Vatican is on your tail. She's your weakness." 

Layton glanced back to see two piercing greens staring back, smile now gone from his brother's face. 

"I'll be the judge of that."