CHAPTER 26

Stealthily the young woman approached the opened door. She felt like Indiana Jones, sneaking into some forbidden place for treasure. Her breath remained trapped in her lungs as she leaned in to peek through the narrow gap. 

What she saw, wasn't what she had expected. No monsters jumped out from shadows and this was no secret torture room either. She had stumbled upon a library. 

Talking about disappointment....

This was a house that belonged to a powerful demon, a creature that shouldn't even exist and the best thing she could find was some old library!? Really!? 

Her shoulders slumped, all hope for finding anything worth of interest, gone. Nonetheless, she was banished from the elite meeting and she had nothing to do. She was not about sit by the door and wait for her master like a lost puppy. 

The door cracked open, inviting the woman into the dimly lit library. Row after row of neatly lined up books with their spines facing outward were placed on floor-to-ceiling shelves. There wasn't a single speck of dust anywhere. This place was well cared for. It owned a certain smell of an aged paper and leather. Most of the books there were old with yellowed pages and smears between the chapters. 

"Cool..." Catherine approached one of the shelves, running her fingers along the thick covers. Her gaze stopped on a certain book. Bible. 

Ironic....Bible in devil's home. 

She bit her lip, fingers itching to pull the book from it's designated place. Maybe some of the answers she had were hiding there. 

"So it's true."

Catherine nearly jumped when a male voice came from somewhere behind her. She whipped around, startled, expecting to see Layton or worse - his dad. But no one was there. Her eyes landed on red leather couches positioned in middle of the library. 

"Excuse me?" Slowly, she approached the red couches. 

"I was surprised at first, but it's true. My brother has taken in a human toy." The same boyish voice came from behind the couch. Catherine glanced over the cushioned back. A man with platinum blonde hair was laying horizontally across one of the couches, his eyes closed and earbuds blasting music. 

"First, I am no ones toy, I'm a person! And second, don't you know it's bad to give people a fucking heart attack!?" 

The man opened his eyes, an eerie shade of pale grey. "And don't you know that it's bad to snoop around?" He retorted. 

"I wasn't snooping around. I was just trying to pass some time. They kicked me out from their fancy family gathering." 

"Sounds about right...." The man sat up, his eyes narrowed as if the poor lightening was burning his colorless eyes. "Father will be angry," He murmured to himself.

"Let me guess, you're Sloth." Catherine noted, observing the sleepy man. 

He didn't grace her with an answer, not that it was not needed. His appearance spoke for itself. Everybody in this family were devilishly good looking and terrible. The teenage boy on the couch was no exception to this observation. 

Maybe except that Gluttony guy, he was just terrible. 

"You're bothering me." The man grumbled. 

"That's your problem, not mine." 

 "Leave." 

Catherine folded her arms, "No." 

"I was here first." 

"I don't care." 

The sin groaned, "You're so annoying." Brushing back his platinum blonde hair, he slowly stood up. "I am starting to understand...why my brother keeps you around." He looked over at the persistent woman. "It's not because he likes you."