Six

A B U S E D

She woke up sweating and breathing heavily. It's the same dream over and over again repeating every night like a broken radio. As soon as she wakes up, Nia forgets his face but she can never forget his pale grey eyes. The emptiness his eyes held. His orbs are so vicious and evil. Who is he? Why does she keep dreaming about him? All these thoughts clouded her head

She got up from her bed and went to the bathroom to freshen up. Nia gasped in shock as she saw herself in the mirror. There was a huge black bruise on her neck

It didn't take her long to realise that it was a hickey

It didn't take her long to realise that it was a hickey. But how? Last night, Nia dreamt of Lola attacking her neck and suddenly out of nowhere, she found a hickey on her neck. She shivered in fear. The only logical explanation is that someone came into her room yesterday night and gave her a hickey. It sounds ridiculous but what other way she can explain it to herself?

Is she hallucinating again?

Nia ran downstairs into the kitchen to find her mother cooking breakfast.

"Mom, what is this?" Nia asked showing her neck.

"Nia, did you get a boyfriend? We told you that you can-" Nia cut her off

"What is this?" Nia asked her mom desperately hoping it's not what she is thinking.

"A hickey," Her mom said frowning her eyebrows.

"But mom, how did I get it? I don't have a boyfriend. Last night, I dreamt of Lola attacking my neck and suddenly I got a hickey out of nowhere. What's happening to me, mom? I keep hallucinating things that are not real. I saw an inhumanely tall man yesterday. Then-" Mrs Ivanov cut her off.

"Nia, calm down. You are sweating so mu-"

"No, mom. Listen to me. Where did this hickey come from? Did someone come into my room yesterday? I have heard stories about a psychopath roaming around this town. Mom I don't want you or dad to go out of town. I don't want to die" Nia was crying and breathing heavily at this point.

Nothing makes sense anymore.

Mrs Ivanov was confused about her daughter's behaviour. She knew Nia will never lie about something like this. Her daughter wasn't a liar. But where did the hickey come from? She tried her best to calm Nia but nothing seems to help her. Nia was terrified about this whole situation. After a while, it was time to go to school. Nia had an important test that she couldn't afford to miss. Mrs Ivanov drove Nia to her High school. The drive was awfully quiet between the mother and the daughter. Both of them were speechless about this whole situation.
------

After giving the exam, I went to the cafeteria to eat. I wore a large hoodie to hide the huge black bruise on my neck. My exam didn't go as well as I planned. The whole time I couldn't concentrate on my paper. My mind kept playing the events of the last few days. I went to the most isolated area of the cafeteria and started to eat my lunch.