Eight

D E L U S I O N

The mansion was empty, its large walls were screaming for me to step forward. It held onto happy memories in its floorboards and walls, for there they were safe and brought warmth upon even the most wintry of days. Then there were sad memories. The people in the house had a sad smile on their faces. They were gazing at me with an unknown emotion. They looked inhumanly tall and pale. But they had emotions like a human. I wanted to walk away but it felt like my whole body was hypnotized. I felt vulnerable in the position I am in. I whimpered a cry as I saw them giggling and whispering. I covered my ears to stop the noises. Suddenly they were rushing towards me.

"Nia"

I woke up in cold sweats. Why am I having these dreams? I need to see the church owner today. Only he can give me answers. I close my eyes to sleep but suddenly I felt a cold hand on my wrist. I opened my eyes and gasped in shock. A small child was holding my hand. I tried to sit up but he sat on top of my stomach. I couldn't move or scream. I was frozen in place.

"He is coming for you. You can't escape. You will surrender yourself to the darkness. You can't escape. You belong in the darkness. You can't escape. You belong to the evil. You belong to us. You can't escape" He shouted at me before disappearing into the darkness.

I stood up and ran downstairs to my parent's room. I knocked aggressively and begged them to open the door.
I felt multiple hands on my legs. I looked down to see multiple hands holding my leg. I screamed in horror. My mom opened the door as I hugged her tightly.

"A child is in my room. Multiple h-hands and s-some one is c-coming to take me away. Mom save me please" I cried in her arms.

"What are you talking about, Nia? You must have a bad dream. My poor baby, Lola's dead traumatized you" She said hugging me.

"You d-don't understand, mom. I-i have been having these weird dreams for the last couple of days and-" she cut me off.

"Sweety, how about you skip school tomorrow and let's visit the psychiatric," She said wiping my tears off.

"Mom, you think I am crazy? What about the damn hickeys? I didn't-"

"What hickeys are you talking about?" She said giving me a confused look.

"The one I showed you yesterday morning, mom," I said in disbelief.

"Your dad and I returned home yesterday night" She gave me a weird look.

I went to the bathroom to see my hickeys. I gasped in shock.

WHERE ARE THE DAMN HICKEYS?

I almost got raped because of them. Am I hallucinating things? Shawn gave me hickeys too. Am I going crazy? What happened yesterday?

"Nia, why don't you sleep in my room today? You are just paranoid" she said taking my hand.
-----
"So Nia, tell me about your dreams," The psychiatrist asked.

"Doc, I am having these weird dreams. These dreams don't make any sense.   Sometimes, I find myself in isolated houses with inhumanly looking people but mostly I see a man with empty pale grey eyes. He-" I broke down in sobs.

"Okay, calm down Nia. Drink some water" The doctor offered some water.

I took it from his hand and started drinking slowly.

"So tell me about what you saw last night. Your mom was saying like you saw a child and stuff" He raised an eyebrow.

Maybe I should tell him from the beginning.

I started to tell him everything about the book and what happened for the past few days. I skipped the bullying and Shawn's attempt to rape me. By the time I finished, I could feel him go into deep thoughts. He called my mom.
She came inside and took a seat beside me.

"Nia, I think you're showing the early symptoms of schizophrenia," The psychiatrist said looking at my mom then at me.

What?

"Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder where people interact with reality abnormally. Nia is seeing and hearing stuff that a normal person can't see or hear. " He said sympathetically.

"I am not crazy. Mom believe me-" She cut me off.

"Nia, it's okay. It's great that we find out earlier. What's the treatment for this disease?" Mom asked but I noticed how her voice broke down.

"schizophrenia requires lifelong treatment. Medication and psychosocial therapy can help manage the condition" The doctor said.

"Thank you, doctor. I will do whatever it takes to help my daughter"

-----
Nia's mom wouldn't let her go anywhere alone. The thought of the church owner and the book was long gone. Nia was starting to feel like she is crazy. She is not normal. Lola's death and now, schizophrenia. Can she live her life with this disease? Little did she knew she wasn't crazy. Everything happening to her was real.

Seeing her like this pained his heart. The thought of having feelings for something so ordinary like her was pathetic but he couldn't help but be near the beauty. His evil eyes were captured by her innocence. He won't leave the human world without having a taste of her.

"Meow,"

He looked down to see the black cat named Lola. He smirked at the poor soul. The cat was supposed to go to heaven but it's going to live in hell.

It's just the beginning of evil and cruelty

         ♡Vote and follow♡