Chapter 12 - Adam's Serenade

Loving You is Killing Me

Chapter 12

A couple of days later...

Everyone turned to stare at me.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry” I said softly, slipping out of class.

Once I was outside I answered my cellphone.

“I was in class!” I yelled, not caring who it was.

Adam’s familiar laughter came from the phone.

“It’s not funny, what do you want?”

I heard a guitar begin to play.

“Adam??”

“Leighton be quiet, it’s rude to talk when someone is trying to serenade you over the phone.”

The guitar began playing louder, I recognized the tune.

It was one of my favorite songs. Tonight by The Lilypads.

 I was pretty sure he played it in Sarah's car the first day I met him even though it was so long ago. I don’t know what it was about Adam but I could remember every single detail of my days with him and usually I was really forgetful.

“I need you in my arms… Tonight… I need to hold you tight… Tonight…”

He was singing softly the familiar lyrics making me smile from ear to ear.

He wasn’t the world’s best singer, not by a long shot, but his accent and the way he sang each word with so much meaning made me love it better than the original.

“You don’t have to worry darling because I’ll be there… Tonight.”

He strummed the final notes and I began clapping wildly, even though my phone was still in my hands and it was probably not good for it.

“I like that song.” I said.

“I know you do, that’s why I learned it.” He said. “Now go back to class.”

I could practically hear the smile on his face.

“Okay bye,” I said.

“Bye Leighton…” He said.

Then I hung up and snuck back into class where Sarah was giving me a look of disapproval.

But I was too far gone to care.

Adam had serenaded me, wasn’t that the cutest thing you’ve ever heard?