31st October 2019

All morning Paul, Jim and Mike had been in Mary's hospital room with her, constantly by her side in her last hours.

Mary meant everything to Paul, and the boy knew that once she was gone, he would be lost. He'd loose his only best friend.

Paul was never good at meeting new people, he preferred to just keep to himself and keep everything hidden away. He only ever told his mum about his feelings, though. The boy adored his mother, and to know that she only had a few hours left, at most, was something he just could not handle.

He hadn't eaten much in the last 3 days, ever since the ambulance came to their home, as he refused to leave her side until the very moment he lost her.

Because she was everything to him, and he didn't know who he would be once she wasn't there anymore.

Paul had cried most of his tears away, his red, puffy eyes (and tear stained cheeks) making that very obvious. But his eyes now looked drained of all emotion as he stared at her.

She spoke every so often, but only slight murmurs. The woman hadn't even been able to open her eyes for the last few hours, her muscles not being strong enough.

The McCartney's knew she hadn't long left at all.

"P-Paul..." The boy lifted his head up, which was previously staring at his feet, and leant over to grab her hand. "M-M-Mike..."

Mike, who was sat at the other side of the bed, also lifted his head up, moving his chair closer forward.

"Yeah, ma'?" Paul asked, trying to stop his voice from shaking.

Her pointing finger, in the hand Paul was holding, began to twitch, pointing in a certain direction that both of the boys couldn't make out. They eyed each other, wearily.

"What, mummy?" An 11 year old Mike asked, looking back at his mothers pale face.

"Bo...Box..."

They stared at eachother again in confusion, until Jim, who had been staring out of the window at the newly put up housing district round the back of the hospital, spoke up. The man turned his head slightly so he could see a glimpse of the rest of his family.

"Your mother has a gift for you." He spoke, slowly turning his full body around and walking forward. "Isn't that right, Love?"

"Mmm..." She spoke.

Jim walked over to the drawer on Mary's bedside table which was located next to Mike. He leant down, opening it up and taking out two small black boxes.

One had the word 'Mike' on, the other 'Paul', in a cursive white font.

"For, y-you b...oth." She whispered the last part. "My l-lovelies."

All the elder son could do was nod, as he heard her voice grow fainter and fainter as she spoke.

"Oh, ma'..." Mike said, taking the box into his hand. "You didn't have to..."

"D-Did." She argued.

Classic Mary, always putting up a good fight.

Paul took the box his father handed to him with his free, shaky hand. He nodded his thanks. He slowly placed her hand down next to her, as he now used both of his hands to open up the box.

He gasped, seeing two chains inside. One had the letters 'lo', the other 've', obviously spelling out 'love'.

There was a message calved into the roof of the box, which read.

Once you meet the person you trust the most, give them one of these necklaces.

It means that you'll always have a part of eachother.